Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pipe leak??

1. Back To Top    #1

Pipe leak??

Hello all. Wanted to know if this is something I should be concerned with or something I can really seal myself.
    20150913_153158.jpg
    20150913_153133.jpg
    In-ground Clayton-Lambert Plaster built 1965?
    Capacity: 20,400 Filter: Sand
    Pump: Hayward Max-Flo II
    1 skimmer & 1 return - Floating chlorinator - TFT-100 Test Kit on the way...currently using Taylor pH, Chlorine and TA test and Pool store test.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pipe leak??

My eyes must be playing tricks on me because I'm having a hard time spotting the exact leaky area. On the bottom pic, I do see a couple fresh drops on the skimmer basket, but can't pinpoint the origin of the leak. Can you help clarify?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

To me it looks like the leak is coming from the pressure gauge in the top image. That should just be a matter of removing the gauge, removing the teflon tape, cleaning the threads then new teflon and reinstall the gauge. Just don't over tighten.

Bottom pic, cannot tell what is leaking. See some water on top of the outlet fitting but is that coming all the way down from your multiport? or elsewhere?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Same here, but I would suggest installing a new quality gauge if you are going to go to the trouble of removing and replacing it, most of the standard pool company gauges are rather cheaply made to say the least. Check out the much better quality gauges at tftestkits.net they are only $11 plus shipping and WAY better than the stock gauges
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

For the second photo I circled the area where there's always a small puddle around the pipe.
    20150913_153133.jpg
    1 skimmer & 1 return - Floating chlorinator - TFT-100 Test Kit on the way...currently using Taylor pH, Chlorine and TA test and Pool store test.

6. Back To Top    #6

That is similar to my set up. Correct me if I'm wrong but the 2 piece that you have circled are glued PVC pipe and fitting.
    And your saying that it is leaking where the 2 are glued together. If that's the case, you may be able to take some PVC glue and spread it in the joint where the water is. It should drip in the crack and melt the two pieces together again.

I had a PVC pipe leak at a fitting once and this worked. It's easy to try anyway.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

7. Back To Top    #7

Ahhhh! In that case, it appears the PVC is going into a male adapter which then screws into the pressure side (top) of the pump. Perhaps the original glue failed a bit between the fitting and the pipe. I suppose you could try any number of epoxy resins to see if you could keep a seal on that spot. That may/may not work. You'd have to leave the pump off for a while so the epoxy could cure as well (pressure pushing out). Depending upon how much it's leaking, some might just leave it. Depends on if it's a severe leak or just s small nuisance dripping. In all cases though, the textbook, ideal method would be to simply get a new fitting, a small bit of PVC pipe, and just replace that portion. One thing you never want is for that pressure side pipe to come flying out of there and lose your water.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

If the leak is where that arrow is someone did not put that glue joint together right, or more likely used the wrong kind of PVC glue, those black pump fittings are CPVC and the pipe is PVC so you have to use the special "universal" CPVC / PVC glue (usually comes in a red label can), not the more common PVC to PVC (blue, green, black, etc. label) or CPVC to CPVP type glues (orange label).
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    If the leak is where that arrow is someone did not put that glue joint together right, or more likely used the wrong kind of PVC glue, those black pump fittings are CPVC and the pipe is PVC so you have to use the special "universal" CPVC / PVC glue (usually comes in a red label can), not the more common PVC to PVC (blue, green, black, etc. label) or CPVC to CPVP type glues (orange label).
    Nice catch! Brilliant ! The right glue is the key.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

10. Back To Top    #10

You guys are awesome. Alrighty then! going to do this fix after I close my pool while the pump is off. Perfect!!