Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa drains into pool when pump stops

1. Back To Top    #1

Spa drains into pool when pump stops

I have a spa that spills over into the pool. I want about 20% of my return water going to the spa to chlorinate the spa and produce a nice waterfall; thus 80% of the return back to the pool.

When I shut off the pump, the spa drains down to the water level of the pool. I can hear the water trickling by the return valve actuator. I replaced the check valve already and new o-rings in the actuator valve.

When I turn the valve actuator to return 100% to the pool, it does not drain the spa; in this mode, this also means no clean chlorinated water goes to spa and no waterfall from the spa spilling over into the pool.

What am I doing wrong?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20,000 gallon
    Aquarite Goldline Salt Cell
    Pentair VSP
    Jandy Valve Actuators

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spa drains into pool when pump stops

Welcome to TFP!

You need a check valve on the spa return line so it cab not drain back if you are going to leave the 3 way valve open like that.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

The Pentair check valve, the one will all the screws in your picture, is bad and you need to replace the flapper. My guess.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

4. Back To Top    #4

I did replace the black check valve in the picture recently. If I leave the spa return on 100%, it will drain the spa as well.
    20,000 gallon
    Aquarite Goldline Salt Cell
    Pentair VSP
    Jandy Valve Actuators

5. Back To Top    #5

Spa drains into pool when pump stops

When you replaced the check valve did you make sure it is plumbed in the right direction. I have the same check valve also and it works great, but they can be on in the wrong direction

But if it was plumbed in the wrong direction it wouldn't send water to the spa.... Spoke before I thought about it. Lol
    Last edited by heatdissipation; 09-14-2015 at 01:40 PM. Reason: correction

6. Back To Top    #6

Also make sure the spring on the flapper is attached and working correctly, my first check valve didn't come with the spring and I had to order a replacement flapper kit that had the spring

7. Back To Top    #7

I can not tell from that maze of pipe if that check valve is the only one required. Looks like the spa return line splits into two?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!