First Test Results - Needs some help, please

May 28, 2015
Toronto/ON
Actually, these are my third test results for my new pool. I've been posting in another thread but haven't had any responses to my questions there. :cry:

This morning's results using my TF-100:

FC = 1
pH= 8.0
CYA = not tested due to just having added CYA last night
CH = 125
TA= 160

I added 48oz muriatic acid and 45 oz liquid chlorine (10.8%) according to Pool Math.

This evening, my TC is 3 and my pH is 6.8. Pool Math says to add 12 lb of borax. Really? With new plaster, I believe the pH will go up on its own, probably before I go to bed. I have one box of borax here. My question is: should I put it in and go out and get another, or sit tight and test again later tonight?

It's raining here and the water is 60 degrees if that makes any difference. Our heater won't be working until tomorrow.

This is all very new to me so I am hoping to get some reassurance and support here. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello. I'm so sorry your last thread didn't receive answers for your questions.

What you can try on the pH 1st is the rain itself will help a little, but aim your jets at the surface of your water (where it is making bubbles on the surface), turn on any water features waterfalls, sprinklers etc. as the aeration from all of these will raise your pH for you.

You didn't say how much stabilizer you added last night, but maintain your chlorine at the level for the anticipated CYA level. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are all here to help. Have a wonderful night.:)

Your TA is high which will cause your Ph to rise. Also, new plaster causes PH to rise. So, you need to test it daily until you have a good understanding of how it behaves. It is important to keep PH between 7.2 and 7.8. Adding acid to lower your PH will slowly lower your TA, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Your FC seems like it might be low. Chlorine level is set based on the Chlorine CYA Chart. Keep it at target and never let it drop below minimum to keep your pool sanitized and algae free.

More on pool chemistry here, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Thanks, Crackerjack4u!

Yes, I read that about aeration and sent my hubby into the 61 degree water to splash around. :) we've also got our spa spillover running. Our deck jets aren't yet operational but that is a great suggestion about the jets (same as returns, right?)

We added 77oz of CYA last night with the conservative goal of 30ppm.

Thanks, pooldv. I'm going to start targeting FC of 3 based on an assumed CYA of 30 (added last night).

Make sure to keep a running log of all of your tests results so you can see when things start to level out.

Poor hubby! "Into the pool with you! SPLASH!" LOL

Kim

kimkats, poor hubby indeed! As he said, he took one for the team. :) LOL Great suggestion about logging. I'm starting now.

Crackerjack4u, after reading your post, we managed to figure out how to turn on the spa pump (called our PB) and it is now aerating quite fantastically! First time we've seen the jets in action. If only it were warmer, we'd have jumped right in!

LOL I bet your hubby was about frozen when he got out from splashing around in that cold water Burrr.

Yes, what I referred to as jets are returns. As pooldv mentioned above, there is no need to add any borax as the pH will rise enough on it's own because of the plaster, TA, etc., plus also be sure to keep the pH within the 7.2-7.8ppm range when it does go up, adjust with MA if it gets above that to lower it back down.

In your circumstances, since it is too cold to swim there anyway, and all the things that will increase your pH anyway by themselves, there is probably no immediate need to aerate or anything else other than letting it rise on it's own because adding aeration, borax etc. could actually get it too high very quickly forcing you guys to then have to turn right back around, and lower it back down. So you might just want to just check the pH level daily, and just run your filter as usual with out the bubbles on the top, or any added features going until you can see how much it's going to rise on it's own 1st (as pooldv suggested) that would probably be advisable.

If the other things don't raise it enough on their own within a couple days, (but we suspect it will), you can then add additional aeration to assist if needed. LOL So in other words, there's no need to send hubby back in for frequent splashing around to raise the pH at this time.

LOL you guys have an awesome night. :)

EDIT: But I am really glad you all got your spa pump figured out and got to see your jets in action. I bet you all can't wait for that heater to be working LOL especially the hubby.

Thanks, Crackerjack4u! We'll be testing pH twice a day for sure.

We are hoping for the heater to start up tomorrow. Our PB was apparently missing a part. It's funny b/c we just came out of a heat wave with temps over 100F, which is unusual for Toronto in Sept. It ended the day we got our plaster. :sad:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lepidoptera,

Did you alter your pH test result in your first post? I read two people are telling you how to raise your pH when it is posted as 8.0.....already too high?????

I am very confused.

EDIT: I am sorry I didn't read down far enougfh in your post. I am no longer bewildered (at least for now)

Did you still need to discuss the sequestrant or is that resolved? Sorry I didn't respond earlier.

Thanks, Dave. We decided to forego the sequestrant and hope for the best. Our PB didn't specifically encourage it. He just said "OK" and then asked to see the technical data sheet (it is just phosphoric acid if I recall correctly). We didn't pursue it. Hopefully that was the right decision and we won't see any metals coming out of suspension with these dramatic swings in pH.

Incidentally, tonight we are measuring:

FC 4
pH 7
TA 80

Will test again in the morning. I'm so happy to see several experienced members pop into here to offer help and advice. Thank you!

hi,
no need to test ph too often, every second day is probably enough unless you see dramatic changes
just wanted to add there is a slight discrepancy with your ph
if it was 8.0ph and you added 48oz of 31%muriatic acid that should equal 7.4ph
not sure where the error is
maybe pool volume, acid strength, amount of acid added or perhaps testing error
try making smaller adjustments until sure where the error is
anyway as already mentioned on fresh plaster ph will rise on its own

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.