Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Snow on my cover!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Snow on my cover!!!

I switched to a mesh cover last year on my in ground pool. When I closed the pool I used four tractor tubes spread evenly under the cover...six or eight would have been better. The tubes were great until the snows began in December and never melted until March. The snow and ice got thicker and heavier, pulling the cover closer to the edge. The tubes held up ok. Any ideas as to how to remove the snow before it builds up? Or has anyone tried stacking the tubes by 2 or 3 to build a pyramid type structure? Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Snow on my cover!!!

There's really no way to get it all off. You can try to stay ahead of it by using a pool brush to sweep it off every time it snows, but if you get 6 inches or more of sticky snow in one snow fall... good luck.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Up north we have a device called a roof rake. It would probably work okay for what you are trying to do.

Here is a picture of one in action. roof_rake.jpg
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    Up north we have a device called a roof rake. It would probably work okay for what you are trying to do.

Here is a picture of one in action. roof_rake.jpg
    I was thinking of that as a suggestion as well. Most of them have rounded corners and edges but be careful when using one of those so you don't damage the cover. They can damage shingles when used improperly so could damage a cover too.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I've even seen them with little rollers on the edge for that!
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir