High CYA + High CL = Metal Staining ?

phappy

Aug 25, 2013
Do high levels of CYA plus high levels of Chlorine promote metals from coming out of water solution, thus promote staining?

I ask because I "think" that's what the Pool Store told me after they tested my water. And I do have high levels of both. They definitely said High CYA...but I'm unsure if the High CL was the second part of the equation. Or perhaps the second part was referring to a different chemical level?

I guess what I'm asking is, does High CYA + a chemical (low or high) {whether CL or not} = promotion of metals coming out of solution/staining?

Thank you very much for your knowledge & help.

Hi smforte! Thanks for your reply & help.

Yes, I definitely have metals in the water and staining. Using this site, I knew to use ascorbic acid which worked well. Then once back in solution, I've been using the Walmart Metal Control in an effort to keep the metals in solution.

But, what I really don't know is if some combination of chemicals actually can cause metals to come out of solution? That's what I gather in the Pool Store's statement that my high CYA and (something else...I think they said high CL) would make metal more easily come out of solution ....?

smforte, sorry but I didn't catch that you said high CL and high PH can cause metal to come out of sequesterant.

But is High CYA involved at all? Or related at all to metal release, or anything else with metals?

If your CYA is high you will need to have a higher FC level to keep up with the CYA level. High CL is what brings the metals out of being sequestered. How are you testing your water? Can you post your test results? Are you on city or well water? Also I'd recommend using a good seqestrant like Jacks Magic. You will have to replinish this every week or so.

I have been battling metals for over a year. It ain't fun!

Also please update your pool info in your profile so everyone can better assist you.

It is the active chlorine (hypochlorous acid), more closely related to the FC/CYA ratio, that slowly oxidizes the metal sequestrant that would release metal ions back into the pool where they could then re-stain. The CYA level itself and the FC level by itself are not relevant. It's the active chlorine level. So a SLAM would oxidize metal sequestrant faster, for example.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.