Pentair IC40 Temperture problem

Apr 24, 2015
Kailua, Hawaii
I've had an IC40 for about 4 months now working flawlessly. I installed it myself along with the intelliph system. Anyway, during my almost daily routine of checking cell status I noticed that the temperature read 75F last week. I thought that was odd since it's normally been reading in the high 90's or low 100's. It's been pretty hot the last couple of months where I'm located. So I cycled power a couple of time to see if when the temperature did finally show up, that it was something other that 75F. No luck. So since I discovered this last week, the temperature everyday has been 75F. This is also affecting the salt level reading since it's inaccurate for the given temperature.

My question is, does anybody know how to determine if it's the temp/flow switch(which can be replaced) or the cell itself causing the problem.

Any help or information would be appreciated.

Remove the cell and inspect it for scale and clean it with water and acid at a 4/1 ratio. Take a look at the switch to see if you see anything obvious.

I failed to mention that in the original post, but I did remove the cell and inspect it. It had no visible scale build up at all. I did clean it and removed the temp/flow sensor to inspect it as well and found no scale or damage at all.

I know this sounds simplistic, but have you contacted Pentair's customer support line?

They are very helpful and can help you run diagnostic procedures over the phone. And, since the cell is only 4 months old, a defect in the temperature sensor should be covered under their 1-year warranty. All you need are serial numbers and proof & date of purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I haven't yet. I guess I'll try that Monday. I was under the impression after reading several comments and posts on different sites that they would give you the run around if the installer wasn't a "licensed professional". I'll give them a shot.

No I haven't yet. I guess I'll try that Monday. I was under the impression after reading several comments and posts on different sites that they would give you the run around if the installer wasn't a "licensed professional". I'll give them a shot.

Well, that might be the case. But this sort of falls under the standard 1-year manufacturers warranty against defects. The unit operated for 4 months with no issue and then the T-sensor died. That's not really an indication of poor installation.

As my father always said to me, "The answer is always 'No' until you ask."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just an update. I did contact Pentair and explain the situation. They happily supplied me with a temp/flow sensor which fixed the issue. They said flat out if it reads 75F, then it's the temp/flow switch. No diagnostics to run. It defaults to 75F if is can't get a reading from the temp sensor. Installation took about 10 minutes. Very straight forward and very easy. I hope this helps anybody who has this problem in the future.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.