First Test Results VS Pool Store

EvanWilliams

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 6, 2015
Plano,Texas
Just getting started----pool looks great but.....:D

Been at working until 8-9pm last few days.
Wife was mistakenly adding Muriatic acid instead of chlorine liq. :eek:

Pool Test Results:

Robertson's Pools--Frisco--Automated Testing

Sat Index 1.1.
TDS 1400
CYA 75
Total Cl- 0.1
Free Cl- 0.1
Ph 8.1
Total Alk- 148
adj TA 128
Total Hardness 529

TFT 100 Kit

Cl- Questionable pink? very slight if at all. I'm calling zero.

Total Alk 180

CYA 50-70 wife vs my vision

Ph 7.8 (K 1000)

TC by (K1000)===None

ETA: Used pool math and will test later!!!!!!

It's fun playing chem lab again. :)

Last edited:
Are you positive, your wife was adding MA and not chlorine? Your PH should be very low. With 15,000 gallons, every 10 oz. of MA will lower PH by about .2. A gallon would of sent the PH way below what you are testing. Forget the pool store testing and stick with yours as it will just complicate things.

Please post a full set of results and please follow the instructions on the yellow card. If you have the speed stir, it should only take a few minutes:

FC
CC
TC = FC + CC
CH
TA
PH
CYA

Please check TC and CC with the drop based kit to start. This will tell if you will need to SLAM.

Plug in your figures into pool match and check out your CSI. (Calcite Saturation Index)

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

I am not 100% on the CH as I believe Texas water is high in this area. TA seems a little high. Recommended levels are as follows:

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Do you keep a timeline of your levels? Are you having issue with PH rising and that is why Muriatic Acid has been added? Definitely recommend you perform an overnight test.

Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

Texas is a big place and has a LOT of variation on fill water, particularly on the topic of CH. While I am not in Texas, I am only about 20 miles away from Texas as the crow flies and my fill water CH is usually around 50 ppm depending on time of year, the lowest I have ever tested came out at 30 ppm.

CSI 0.6 I''ll monitor Ph daily for awhile and see how it goes. 'll study up on overnight test.

Here is what Pool Math has, and I believe you are right there on the levels (borderline). Please play around with the figures and lower PH to determine if your CSI is lowered. There may be other ways to lower the CSI, but maybe someone who is out in that area can help you out. Luckily, in our area, our fill water has near perfect levels on PH, CH, TA. I made a mistake of adding well water in the beginning, but it was in such small amounts that there was no effect to the total picture.

Calcite Saturation Index - requires pH, TA, CH, CYA, Temp, uses Borate, Salt Less than -0.6 is suggestive of problems for plaster, tile, stone, and pebble pools. Greater than 0.6 is suggestive of problems for all pools.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.