Variable Speed Pump and Solar Control

Hi,

I'm very new to this whole pool thing and I have minimal electrical experience, but I am handy and figure things out easily (most of the time). I have a Hayward Max Flo 2302VSP variable speed pump. The pump has its own digital timer built in on the pump. I have mechanical timers (T40003RT3) for the salt generator and the pool light. I just installed solar panels and a solar controller (Hayward Aquasolar AQ-SOL-LV) that will automatically open the valve to heat the pool when heat is available. I have questions about hooking up power to the solar controller and also about kicking the pump up to high speed when the solar turns on.

- I currently run the pump on speed 1, which is the low speed, for 8 hours a day (There are 3 speeds total).
- I want the solar controller to kick the pump up to speed 3 (Highest Speed) when it turns on.
- I called Hayward and they said I will need a relay for the solar controller and wire it for a booster pump.

Does anyone know how to wire this and is it really possible?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are saying that when solar heat is available it will use the relay to turn on another pump. Rather than buy another pump I would see if you can get another solar controller that can switch the speed on your pump. I don't have any experience with Hayward equipment. I have a Pentair VS pump and a Pentair Solartouch solar controller. When solar heat is available the Solartouch opens the valve and changes the pump to speed 2. I don't know if the Pentair Solartouch would change speeds on the Hayward pump.

No, it can't. You have to get the VSPND to be able to control the pump with automation.

I guess the best option is to set the timer to run your pump at your desired RPM for solar and let the solar controller open and close the valve as needed. Set the pump timer for whatever time your solar panels get sun, 8a to 8p. Or get a second pump that the solar controller can turn on when solar heat is available and run the VS pump at 1000-1200 rpm for the the temp sensors.

Thanks for the responses. I guess for now, I will just run my pump at a higher speed all the time. That way, when the solar valve turns on, It will have enough power to send water to the roof and still circulate the pool well. Kind of defeats the purpose of the VS pump. Thanks again for the help everyone!!!!!

Yes, it does somewhat. But, you can still dial in a good flow rate for your solar. I use 1950 rpm, 550 watts, which gives a good flow rate and keeps the panels fairly cool and the water coming from the returns is warm but not too warm. And the pump timer can still turn the pump on and off during non-solar times. And when you know solar isn't needed you can run the pump at a very low rpm for filtering and making chlorine if you have an SWG? I run mine at 1100 rpm for filtering, skimming and making chlorine and it only uses 150 watts.

I have a Max Flow VS and it sounds similar in that it has essentially four speed modes.

It will run on Purge Speed (its max speed of 3000 RPM) as a purge cycle to allow it to self purge the air out for 4 minutes (you can program this from 0 to 4 minutes).

After the purge time is done it will automatically switch to "V3" (this is default programmed to 3000 RPM but you can change it) and will run at that speed for a default time of 12 hours (or a user programmed time).

After the V3 programmed time it will switch to V1 (this is default programmed to 1500 RPM but you can change it) and will run at that speed for a default time of 12 hours (or a user programmed time).

After the V1 programmed time it will shut off so I guess I do not know what V2 is for.

What I did was to program it to run at V1 3000 RPM for 1 hour and I also timed the vacuum booster pump run at the same time because it needs the extra flow. The solar controller shuts off the booster pump when the valve moves to the solar panels and this allows the air to purge out of the solar panel pipes.

Then I experimented and found that 2479 RPM is the minimum RPM to allow the main pump to pump the water up to the second story and I just run it at this speed for 8 hours. So much for the energy savings.

Then I experimented and found that 2479 RPM is the minimum RPM to allow the main pump to pump the water up to the second story and I just run it at this speed for 8 hours. So much for the energy savings.

How did you determine if your pump is reaching the panels on your roof? The returns on my pool make a funny noise and air bubbles in them if I run the pump too slow when the solar is on. 2000 wasn't cutting it so I bumped it up until they were quiet: about 2300 for my system so not too far off what you found for your system. I'm curious how you figured this out...especially to that kind of resolution! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.