Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What to do until I can dump my water.

1. Back To Top    #1

What to do until I can dump my water.

So I've been reading all the Pool school and forum posts. Since I live in Arizona, I'm told I shouldn't drain my pool until the weather cools down or there might be damage to my pool. so now I'm wondering just how to manage it until I can dump the water later in the year. Here are my readings as of this morning.
    FC 2.5, cc 0.5, pH 7.4, TA 130, CYA well over 150, sat index 0.5 I have the pool running total 6 hours/day in 2 runs and am currently adding 1 gal liquid chlorine every evening. The water is clear and sparkling. Of course the FC level drops during the day to almost nothing by evening when I add more during that run.
    In-ground Pebble tec, 10,900 gal built 1999 with new Hayward 5030 cartridge filter and AO Smith 1.5 HP ST1152 pump. rooftop solar heater, zodiac G-3 cleaner, using Taylor 2006 kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What to do until I can dump my water.

Keep doing like you have been, and use http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html to determine how much chlorine to add for your CYA level. You did not post a calcium level. If it is over 400ppm you will want to keep the pH between 7.0 and 7.2 to avoid calcium scale formation.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Sorry, the calcium level is 740. I had been doing as others new to TFP listening to the pool store guys and adding more triclor tabs and shock to keep up the chlorine---what a mistake!!! Does anyone know how low the ambiant temp needs to be before I can empty my pool and start over?
    In-ground Pebble tec, 10,900 gal built 1999 with new Hayward 5030 cartridge filter and AO Smith 1.5 HP ST1152 pump. rooftop solar heater, zodiac G-3 cleaner, using Taylor 2006 kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

You need to start replacing some of that water now to get the CYA levels down or buy stock in Clorox. Sorry. Absolutely no more stabilized pucks for a long time.
    11K gal IG screened-in plaster pool w/ spa
    pentair 150 cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump,
    Aquarite AQR15 SWG, AquaCal Heatwave Heat Pump, TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

You can replace the water in smaller increments than a 50% drain. In fact, you can cleverly siphon water from the top of your pool at one end and refill with your hose at the bottom of the other end so you pool level never drops. It takes a little more water but not that much and your plaster is never exposed.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School