Hazards of green water

Red

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 11, 2010
Orange County, CA
I was at a friend's house recently and his pool water was definitely not clear. It was a light creamy green color. He didn't seem to mind and lots of people were swimming. Besides the obvious visibility hazards, what are other dangers of swimming in such a pool? I wasn't prepared to explain that to him the dangers.

I had my family hang out in the jacuzzi, where the water was fairly clear.

Ugh......I never understood anyone getting into a pool that isn't clear. I guess it's just me, but I'd never get into a pool that had any degree of visible cloudiness.

The risk is you could get sick if there isn't enough sanitizer to kill pathogens quickly. A cloudy pool is one symptom that there isn't enough sanitizer. There are other causes of cloudiness, but why risk it.

The thing you have to remember about natural bodies of water is that there is an exchange of water on a regular basis. There is a flow of water into and out of lakes, ponds, streams, and rivers from rain run off, underground springs, snow melt, ect. The point is they are not stagnant bodies of water where bacteria can survive and be transmitted easily to swimmers. Swimming pools are not lakes, they do not have natural water exchange and they do not have plants, fish, and other aquatic life that feed on harmful organisms in the water. Also in times of drought when natural water exchange is low lakes have been closed due to high bacteria levels. This can also occur in flood situations where too much water has been exchanged and there is not enough beneficial bacteria to kill off the onslaught of harmful bacteria that has washed into the natural bodies of water. Algae itself is not harmful, other than decreasing visibility so you would not see a swimmer under the water. All it takes is one swimmer with a recent case of loose bowels to contaminate a whole pool. Swimmers tend to swallow small amounts of water while swimming. Even if you are just standing knee deep can you guaranty someone is not going to splash water in your eyes or mucus membranes? Is algae itself harmful? No, but is a big red (or green!) flag that the water is not sanitary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.