Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hazards of green water

1. Back To Top    #1

Hazards of green water

I was at a friend's house recently and his pool water was definitely not clear. It was a light creamy green color. He didn't seem to mind and lots of people were swimming. Besides the obvious visibility hazards, what are other dangers of swimming in such a pool? I wasn't prepared to explain that to him the dangers.

I had my family hang out in the jacuzzi, where the water was fairly clear.
    Southern CA 30K gal Pebble Pentair WhisperFlo 1HP 2 speed Hayward DE6020 filter Paramount Debris Canister Goldline/Hayward AquaRite Pro SWG (T-CELL 15) Sense & Dispense (acid) Paramount Debris Canister Pentair IntelliBrite 5G and GloBrite Inter-Fab G-Force slide Jandy deck jets Lion head spout Dolphin Premier Cleaner Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hazards of green water

Ugh......I never understood anyone getting into a pool that isn't clear. I guess it's just me, but I'd never get into a pool that had any degree of visible cloudiness.

The risk is you could get sick if there isn't enough sanitizer to kill pathogens quickly. A cloudy pool is one symptom that there isn't enough sanitizer. There are other causes of cloudiness, but why risk it.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

3. Back To Top    #3

Yup, if algae is growing almost anything else could be too.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

I personally would not swim in a pool that is not clear
    44000L oval above ground vinyl pool ---Taylor K-2006----
    Jacuzzi Saniclear 20 salt generator, Waterco XLRU50btu Heat Pump
    Jacuzzi L192 19" sand filter, Jacuzzi 1.5hp pump
    Pool School + Test Kits + PoolMath = Happy Times
    If in doubt SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain + Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

5. Back To Top    #5

What are examples of "other things" that could be growing that might be harmful? Algae itself doesn't seem too threatening...like if someone went swimming in a lake, etc.
    Southern CA 30K gal Pebble Pentair WhisperFlo 1HP 2 speed Hayward DE6020 filter Paramount Debris Canister Goldline/Hayward AquaRite Pro SWG (T-CELL 15) Sense & Dispense (acid) Paramount Debris Canister Pentair IntelliBrite 5G and GloBrite Inter-Fab G-Force slide Jandy deck jets Lion head spout Dolphin Premier Cleaner Taylor K-2006 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

The thing you have to remember about natural bodies of water is that there is an exchange of water on a regular basis. There is a flow of water into and out of lakes, ponds, streams, and rivers from rain run off, underground springs, snow melt, ect. The point is they are not stagnant bodies of water where bacteria can survive and be transmitted easily to swimmers. Swimming pools are not lakes, they do not have natural water exchange and they do not have plants, fish, and other aquatic life that feed on harmful organisms in the water. Also in times of drought when natural water exchange is low lakes have been closed due to high bacteria levels. This can also occur in flood situations where too much water has been exchanged and there is not enough beneficial bacteria to kill off the onslaught of harmful bacteria that has washed into the natural bodies of water. Algae itself is not harmful, other than decreasing visibility so you would not see a swimmer under the water. All it takes is one swimmer with a recent case of loose bowels to contaminate a whole pool. Swimmers tend to swallow small amounts of water while swimming. Even if you are just standing knee deep can you guaranty someone is not going to splash water in your eyes or mucus membranes? Is algae itself harmful? No, but is a big red (or green!) flag that the water is not sanitary.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!