Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stabilizer sock

1. Back To Top    #1

Stabilizer sock

I've seen posts referring to an organic stabilizer sock for the skimmer baskets. Where do I buy some? Thanks!
    ​aarsic
    30k gallon in-ground plaster pool, Pentair Whisper-Flo 2.0hp, Jandy AquaPure PLC 1400 Saltwater Cell, Polaris 360 w/booster pump, DE filter. Due to a brain injury I cannot do Pool Math. Don't tell me to do Pool math unless you want to walk me through the whole thing.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stabilizer sock

Not sure why it must be organic ... should it be gluten free too?

Most of use use any white cotton athletic sock. Or I use a t-shirt if I need to add a lot. It just needs to be something to hold the granules while they dissolve.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Kneehigh socks work well too,
    Just put it in the skimmer and let it dissolve. You can also hang it close to the return and let the water flow help it dissolve
    44000L oval above ground vinyl pool ---Taylor K-2006----
    Jacuzzi Saniclear 20 salt generator, Waterco XLRU50btu Heat Pump
    Jacuzzi L192 19" sand filter, Jacuzzi 1.5hp pump
    Pool School + Test Kits + PoolMath = Happy Times
    If in doubt SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain + Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

4. Back To Top    #4

I used an unmatched sock that was my sons baseball sock lol

Christina
    ~14,000gal 14x30 IG vinyl, Hayward DE4820 filter (everything else is too old to read lol), TF100 Test Kit, TFPC method
    POOL SCHOOL, ABC'S of WATER CHEMISTRY, POOL MATH, SUPPORT TFP!!, TEST KIT!

5. Back To Top    #5

In 2007 Chem Geek (TFP Expert) wrote, "While some chemicals (notably Cal-Hypo) are incompatible with Trichlor that may be remaining in the inline chlorinator, that is not true for cyanuric acid or related cyanurate products. However, the sock material is organic so I'd make sure there's no Trichlor in the chlorinator when you put in the sock."

Note - I did not bump that thread or any others pertaining to a sock but I wondered about the organic part.
    ​aarsic
    30k gallon in-ground plaster pool, Pentair Whisper-Flo 2.0hp, Jandy AquaPure PLC 1400 Saltwater Cell, Polaris 360 w/booster pump, DE filter. Due to a brain injury I cannot do Pool Math. Don't tell me to do Pool math unless you want to walk me through the whole thing.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Any old sock will do just fine.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you.
    ​aarsic

8. Back To Top    #8

I had never seen that discussion about putting it in a chlorinator. The flow rate is low, so in the skimmer is likely better.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

That quote referred to an "inline chlorinator" not a floating dispenser. Inline chlorinators are plumbed in at the pump room so have strong flow rate when the pump is on. That quote is not relevant to this discussion since the OP isn't talking about putting Trichlor in a sock but rather CYA and that's OK to do. It's concentrated Trichlor that should not be combined with organic material. CYA is different since it does not contain chlorine.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

10. Back To Top    #10

Chem Geek is the best!
    ​aarsic