Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: starting psi

1. Back To Top    #1

starting psi

hi all, we've recently purchased a home with a pool everything i read about our filter says to do a backwash when the psi level is around 10 higher then where it should be, how do i know what it should be? we have a purex triton nautilus fns 60.IMG_1181.jpgIMG_1180.jpg

i believe my pool is 16k gallons.

thank you very much for any suggestions with keeping my pool running smoothly.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: starting psi

It could be anywhere from 10 to 14 or so. Backwash when you see a 25% rise in pressure over a clean filter.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks, we've been here for a little over a month and i've never been able to get it under 25psi. i'll turn it to backwash for 1 minute, then rinse for 1 minute, then waste for about 7 seconds. should i take it apart and manually clean the filter?

4. Back To Top    #4

That is a DE filter. Have you been adding DE back into it after every backwash? If not, and given you do not know the history. I would do a full breakdown following the DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial.

Here is some more information that may help: Use and Care of DE Filters

We certainly to not prescribe to the 10psi pressure rise. We recommend backwashing when the pressure rises 20-25% over whatever your clean pressure is.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

If you decide not to break it down and clean it, I'd certainly backwash longer than one minute. I have no idea why you would run it on waste after rinsing.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

If you do take it apart, just be careful with the parts you handle. If I'm reading your label correctly, it looks like your filter dates back to 2000? If that's true, and most everything is still original, it might need a good inspection if you can't confirm one was done recently. I can't validate your filter clean/starting psi, but many owners will simply do a very thorough cleaning/backwashing/rinsing, and when they know it's as good as it's going to get, they make note of that "clean" starting pressure. Then as Woody noted above clean/backwash when that pressure gets about 20-25% higher.
    If the previous owners didn't leave you a manual, I found this link that may help you: https://www.inyopools.com/manuals/34...utilus_fns.pdf.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!