Questions on Air Compressors for Winterizing

MaPool

Sep 11, 2015
Massachusetts
Hi All,

Noob here. I am sure this has been answered before but for some reason I can't find it; sorry!

I am looking to purchase an air compressor to winterize my in ground pool. It is a basic 12x24 kidney shape design where the deep end is 6 feet not 8 feet. 1 skimmer, 2 deep end drains (normal Ma code) and 4 returns with a Polaris auto cleaner return. I have the basic knowledge how to winterize but need to know the basic air compressor specifications.

I am looking for the proper specs required of an air compressor to blow out the lines and drain.

I was looking at the Porter Cable 3.5 gallon that specs say has 3.5 scam @ 40 psi and 2.6 scfm @ 90 psi. Here is the one I'm looking at. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-Ca...ct|NF|2day

Also, I was looking at the Campbell Hausfield 6 gallon which has 3.5 scam @ 40 psi.http://www.walmart.com/ip/21283636?...138472&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78653633552&veh=se em

Also, looking at the Craftsman 6 gallon pancake http://www.sears.com/craftsman-6-gallon-oil-less-pancake-compressor-and/p-00916575000P

I would appreciate your suggestions on what I need to be able to blow out the lines and which compressor ( or others) if you have any suggestions.

I have read where some compressors could not keep up a constant cfm in order to properly blow out the returns and drain.

Thank you,
Doug

I have never winterized a pool so take this advice FWIW.

At my previous home, I used to winterize the lawn sprinkler system with an air compressor every winter. The main thing is you need a very large volume of air. PSI is important but no where near as important as volume and that's measured in SCFM. I bought a DeWalt 15gal compressor rated for 5.4 SCFM at 90 psi. It was just barely able to handle the job. I had to charge the tank up fully to 210 psi and then connect the air to the sprinkler at a metered 60 psi right before I knew the compressor was about to shut off. The tank still ran to empty within a couple minutes. I repeated this twice on each of five zones. My point is that most non-commercial compressors are underrated for a job like this. You need enough pressure and volume that the air will push the water out in a column like it's a plug. What you do not want is the air traveling above the water in the pipe leaving some water to freeze in the line during the winter. That will happen if you don't have enough pressure and volume. The smallest compressor I saw any contractor use for the job was rated for and actually delivered 9 CFM at 90 psi.

I think you're going to need a larger compressor with a larger tank.

I have a 45 litre (12gallon) 5 HP shop vac for quick clean ups (wet or dry) around the garage and shop. I change the vacuum hose from the intake port to the exhaust port of the vacuum. I hold the end of the hose to the pool's return line to the jets. Presto.......blows the water out like a whale's spout!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.