Outdoor Kitchen in progress!

Sep 11, 2014
Oviedo, FL
Here's my ODK adventure!

A quick background: I'm a handy homeowner, and admittedly...I am an engineer. So, I often practice in the theory of precision vs. the theory of good enough.
We had the pool built last last year and opened in Feb 2015, using only TFPC methods all along the way. I had a big learning curve in the beginning but have got it figured out now. It's been a ton of fun and the kids LOVE it.
I've also finished our movie theater, see here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/91605-Pool-Movie-Theater

And now, with the help of several other TFP ODK threads, I've started my own project.

My objectives were to build an L-shaped ODK that would include my two-year-old 3-burner Weber propane grill, a mini-fridge, a bar sink, storage for a second propane tank and space for a trash can. I did not want to get into obtaining permits, so I will pull power from an existing outlet located (conveniently) behind and water from an existing hose-bib located (again, conveniently) very nearby.
The only thing I will not do is lay the countertops. I considered a diy concrete countertop, but I didn't want to risk messing it up, or making it too hard on myself (grinding, sanding, cracking, and such).

My shopping list was long, but so far, everything but stainless steel doors came from home depot.

Any and all advice and questions are welcome. I appreciate bouncing ideas back and forth! Whaddyathink?!?

Planning and initial layout took a long time.

Used composite decking as the footing

Metal stud caps laid out. Note the existing power outlet and hose bib.

There is a lot to consider when deciding on the final heights of things - the mini-fridge has to fit, the countertops will add 1.25 inches, the stud caps add about an eighth of an inch to the overall height. All things included, my grill needs to get taller by about 2 inches! I'll be lowering the original grill frame/stand into opening so that when the grill eventually dies I'll be able to lift it out and replace it, without rebuilding the whole ODK. The countertops will land at 37.125"...a little taller than standard countertop heights, but this is where it needed to be.

Mostly done with framing. I will install an outlet in the face of the raised back.

Everything is test fitted - so far so good. Trash bin on the left. Grill next. Propane storage and bar sink next. And minifridge right most.

Looking good, I like how you are approaching it with test fit and design.

What are you going to skin it with and using granite?

May sound crazy however add a small 45 degree brace here and there, the ends are good places for them and the back uprights.

John

Good luck with the stacked slate panels from HD, the way they ship them I had to return and reorder 3x's. They are not stocked in our HD's so they shipped from Cali on a pallet.
10640-albums2936-picture70178.jpg

Love the finish look though, also think about the wall thickness under your bar top. 2 issues I ran into, the corner pieces required special cuts and your supporting a 12-14" wide bar top off of 4" material. I ended up adding very heavy 90 degree brackets to the underside for support. I did that while I was installing the slate.

John

Wow, John! Thats exactly the look I'm going for. The slate with a black marbled granite top. Beautiful job!

I'm actually not doing a 14" bar top. I don't have enough physical space between the screen enclosure and where I'm putting the kitchen. So, I'm just having a 6" top placed.

I learned today how little I enjoy working the concrete board.

Yes, dropping the weber grill cart into its space. I have modified it some; cutting off bits that would interfere with my plan.

I've always kept the grill 1 foot away from the stucco and never had any issues (like split paint or cracking). The lid on the webers almost force you to stay that far back. With the layout as is, I'm actually pushing the grill a few more inches out. So, I don't think I'll have any problems

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi,

An update. After that week off I took to focus on this project, my progress has slowed.

I realized how little I enjoy working with concrete board. :pth:

I'm planning on putting the stacked slate panels around it - since those come out about 1 inch, I installed the gang box to stick out about that much.

Durock concrete board and mortared the seams. The location of the power outlet is easier to notice in this pic.

Redgard.

Doors (with film remaining in place until the very end!) and fridge in place.

The stacked slate. After a good talk with the granite guy, we're going to go with something lighter in color than initially thought. We get some strong sunshine in the afternoon - the guy told me that the carbon in the granite would 'burn' out within a year due to the sun, leaving a light gray and less nice coloration with a very dark stone. We are choosing something lighter with more color variation, which will better conceal any discoloration due to the sun. Just another thing to consider.

achristie76, it really looks great and I know it may be too late but I would relocate the grill to the far right where the fridge is. My experience is that smoke and grease from the grill will get onto your stucco, window and the underside of the eave of your house. I get grease on the underside of my summer kitchen roof and it stands 16 feet to the center of the peak. Trust me now is the time to relocate it.

Hi -

I am done with my ODK! It's been done for awhile now, I've just been very slow in getting pics loaded. I've enjoyed working this project, but I'm happy it's done too. All put together, I'm in for just under $3000. The granite was about half of that total.

Stacked stone is complete, except for the backsplash:

Granite Countertops installed:

Close up around the grill:

Nice work. I liked that stacked stone look, and it looks really good as part of your pool style. We explored something like that for our pool, as well as for our outdoor cooking. Still on the fence about the latter. Props!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.