Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Close to contract, Looking for Input...

1. Back To Top    #1

Close to contract, Looking for Input...

Hello all, I am close to signing contract to begin construction of a new pool. Here are is the current proposal:
    103 ft perimeter
    538 sq feet surface.
    Depth 3.5-5.5-4,
    2 baja shelves one at the 2nd step and the other at about 18 inches. Plus one bench on the opposite side of the pool
    70 sq ft natural rock waterfall
    Mini pebble interior (color to be determined)
    Travertine coping and decking

Pentair Equipment: Intelliflo variable speed pump, Clean and clear plus cartridge filter and easy touch panel.

A&A Products: Magna Sweep In-Floor cleaning system, Venturi skimmer, Venturi gamma cleaning heads, leaf vac canister, Quick pure 3 ozone system, and Quick Dek Clor

Savi LED lighting (4 total lights)

My largest concern is the mini pebble interior. I am torn between mini pebble and pebble sheen. Any thoughts, recommendations or feedback? Also, any feedback on the A&A in-floor cleaning system would be appreciated.

This will be the first pool I have built new, second pool have owned.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Close to contract, Looking for Input...

The first thing someone more knowledgeable than me will tell you is to ditch the ozone. You don't need it. Chlorine or SWG will sanitize your pool just fine.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a child with extremely sensitive skin, when he swims in pools with normal chlorine levels he breaks out in rashes etc. We have friends that have ozone and he has no problems in their pool. He also does well in salt pools but we want travertine decking.

4. Back To Top    #4

There are lots of people on here with salt and travertine decking and coping.
    Pool is done! Only took 17 months! - Natural shape in-ground pool: 37x23, 505sq ft, 96ft perimeter, 7ft deep end, 18,950 gallons, tanning ledge, blue surf pebble sheen/luminous blue blend, Belgard coping, 910 sqft paver deck/walkways, retaining walls out the yinyang. Jandy SWG, 2 LED Color lights, VS 2HP Pump, 460sqft cartridge filter, PDA RS P8 controller. My build

5. Back To Top    #5

Ditch the in floor cleaning heads and get a robot vacuum instead.

6. Back To Top    #6

Had a robot vac in the past and it was nothing but a money pit. Constantly buying parts and rebuilding. In AZ, dust and sediment is the main issue and other pool owners are having positive experiences with in-floor. in the past, I had a Hayward robot and it was a nightmare, always broken. I switched to a Zodiac Baracuda and I was constantly buying the membranes.

- - - Updated - - -

Salt is extremely corrosive to travertine and have seen first hand what it does to travertine. it can be done but you have to seal on a regular basis. Our childcare provider has a salt pool with travertine decking, the pool is 3 years old and the decking is falling apart. it is corroding away. Every pool builder I consulted in AZ advised me to avoid travertine if I want a salt pool.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Initial thought is that the pools 'with normal chlorine levels' are not necessarily well balanced and that could be the real issue. Except for the salt content, SWCG and bleach dumper pools are practically identical in water makeup. The real difference could be TFPC method pool vs non/TFPC method pool that is causing the difference. The ozone pools could very well have other differences from the chlorine pools you frequent. Using ozone to reduce chlorine has pitfalls.

Others will be along with other insights. Mine are not those of a pro for sure.

For me the water and related issues come before the decking surface in the pecking order for a pool area. I love our SWCG for ease of maintenance overall.

Best of luck with he many decisions through the process. Best advice is to have patience and be an active part of the process.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the advice. I have sat down with 4 pool builders here in the Valley (AZ) and I was planning on a SWCG but they all talked me out of it. The builders told me the maintenance and corrosive properties of salt is not worth the benefits. I was very surprised. I thought salt was the way to go.

9. Back To Top    #9

There are or have been several AZ pool builds on this forum, but don't recall if any were SWG. Perhaps one of them will chime in. I'm sure if you used the search tool you could locate their build threads.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

10. Back To Top    #10

Im building mine with Salt water and travertine coping. ills let you know in a few months after it is done. LOL.
    I will be sealing my coping.

There are plenty of people on here who have done traverinte with their salt water and no issues.
    NEW POOL BUILD IN THE WORKS. :)

PLAY POOL - SPA- SUNKEN BAR

11. Back To Top    #11

In-floor has impressed me, to be honest. I grew up with snakes, sweeper eels, etc and they always seemed to get hung up in one area or the hose kinked and then no cleaning. The in-floor makes for better circulation and once you figure out your runtime for the pump at it's various speeds it is definitely less maintenance. We've had a few storm since ours was completed and short of getting in and skimming by hand for all the tiny Mesquite leaves, the PV3 has kept up nicely, but I brush daily as well.

We went with straight chlorine, and PB was wiling to install SWG and UV, but for the cost and hearing horror stories from others on replacement cost and adjusting with pump speed changes, this just seems easier for us. The travertine deck seems subject to rock scratching when a pebble gets under one of the chairs, but aside from that, very happy with the color and it's the only surface which you can walk on in full sun in the middle of summer and not require shoes.

i would listen to your PB advice though, they don't want to steer you wrong because it means maintenance callbacks under warranty for them, and a potentially dissatisfied customer.
    July2015 New - 12,900gal IG Clorine Pool: Free Form Shot/PebbleSheen, Ceramic Waterline/Travertine Coping/Deck, Paramount PV3 In-Floor, Pentair 3050VS Intelliflo Variable (3000rpm High/1000rpm Low), Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge, Venturi Skimmer, MDX/SDX Drain, Paralevel, Rock Waterfall +3/4" Aireator, Intellibrite 5G LED, EasyTouch4, and Tab Floater.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by LongDuck View Post
    In-floor has impressed me, to be honest. I grew up with snakes, sweeper eels, etc and they always seemed to get hung up in one area or the hose kinked and then no cleaning. The in-floor makes for better circulation and once you figure out your runtime for the pump at it's various speeds it is definitely less maintenance. We've had a few storm since ours was completed and short of getting in and skimming by hand for all the tiny Mesquite leaves, the PV3 has kept up nicely, but I brush daily as well.

We went with straight chlorine, and PB was wiling to install SWG and UV, but for the cost and hearing horror stories from others on replacement cost and adjusting with pump speed changes, this just seems easier for us. The travertine deck seems subject to rock scratching when a pebble gets under one of the chairs, but aside from that, very happy with the color and it's the only surface which you can walk on in full sun in the middle of summer and not require shoes.

i would listen to your PB advice though, they don't want to steer you wrong because it means maintenance callbacks under warranty for them, and a potentially dissatisfied customer.
    Yes my last pool had a Zodiac Barracuda cleaner and it was a pain, always hung up, constantly buying membranes. I am torn between the Paramount In-floor and the A&A in floor. I like the A&A main drain and huge leaf vac canister. How is the Paramount main drain and leaf collection system?

13. Back To Top    #13

Main drain is MDX with SDX side drain to pick up any midlevel sediment and works really well. When running high speed cleaning, you can see the side drain pulling in stuff as it flows past. The main drain sees a steady diet of 1/4 minus decomposed granite which surrounds the pool and these are caught in the pump cage; no separate leaf separator. I brush any DG from the bottom into the drain and the wide open section flow it right in. We have a mesquite behind the water feature which drops a lot of tiny leaves and sticks and these flow right through.

No experience with A&A, so maybe someone will chime in,
    July2015 New - 12,900gal IG Clorine Pool: Free Form Shot/PebbleSheen, Ceramic Waterline/Travertine Coping/Deck, Paramount PV3 In-Floor, Pentair 3050VS Intelliflo Variable (3000rpm High/1000rpm Low), Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge, Venturi Skimmer, MDX/SDX Drain, Paralevel, Rock Waterfall +3/4" Aireator, Intellibrite 5G LED, EasyTouch4, and Tab Floater.

14. Back To Top    #14

In case you are considering SWG pool, take a look at our build and materials we used. All gunite, no sealing.

38' x 17' IG 108lft 22.5k gal,12" raised 8x10 spa, 3'5"-7'5", Pentair 400k btu heater, Pentair 520sqft filter system, Intelliflo SVRS pump 3hp, Pentair Racer, 1.5 hp pump, SWG and ozone, easy touch remote, Pentair color LEDs 2pool 1spa, 2 bubblers, wet edge-TBD, boulder formations coping and waterfall, acrylic spray decking, My pool build in Katy TX (PHOTOS and VIDEOS)

15. Back To Top    #15

I'm not familiar with the A&A brand, but our pool was finished about 4 weeks ago and we have the Paramount PV3 Infloor cleaning system. We love it! Only vacuumed once (the day it was filled) and haven't seen as much as a speck since. Well, the last few mornings we have worms that look like meal worms or small caterpillars in our pool on the bottom, but they are all gone and in the leaf canister an hour after the Infloor cleaning system starts up. I've emptied rocks as big as my fingernail out of the leaf canister already. It does a great job keeping the floor clean.
    12300gal IG PebbleTec w/7' raised Spa & Waterfall. Built Aug 2015
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS Pump, Pentair 420 Cartridge Filter, Ultra UV, Auto Fill
    EasyTouch control w/ Remote, Infloor Cleaner w/1.5HP Pump and Leaf Canister
    Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15gal tank, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator, TF-100 Test Kit.