Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2 day old pool with no flow, no chlorine problem

1. Back To Top    #1

2 day old pool with no flow, no chlorine problem

Hi Guys,
    After 2-3 months of construction for our vinyl-lined pool it finally got handover on Thursday (specs in signature). The start-up with the technician seemed to go well - water quality, chlorine level, etc was right. I am mostly a pool newbie so was just following as best I could.

I was told to leave the pump running over night and turn off in the morning and then switch to auto operation ready for it's 8am startup. All good. But when I went outside at 8.30 the pump was off.

Cutting a long story short, since that initial startup, whenever I turn the pump on it cuts out after its 3 minutes with the "no flow" message. And at that point I had not touched a single thing except switching the pump off and pushing the auto button.

Reading all the manuals, the water seems to be flowing very well (fully primed), covering the cell fully, I've checked the wires to the cell, cleaned the skimmer, pump basket, also backwashed as the pressure was high.

Also, when the pump is running (for that 3 mintues before the safety cuts it out) I am getting a zero chlorine production level reading on the LCD panel.

So in the afternoon I decided to check the water and had to do it twice as chlorine wasn't even registering in the test kit.

Any ideas? Faulty components? This is a brand new 1 day old system. The pool guy can't come back until Monday and had no idea what they problem might be over the phone.

Thanks, Jeff
    In-ground, brick/concrete, vinyl-lined, 9m x 2.5m (7,925 Gallons / 30,000 ltr)
    Astral VX9T Salt Chlorinator
    Astral e-Combi EEV2 2-speed Pump
    Astral EC650 Sand filter
    Perth, Western Australia (Hot dry summers, mild winters, windy)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2 day old pool with no flow, no chlorine problem

Can't help with the mechanics, but get some chlorine in the water. Bleach or whatever you can get your hands on. Brush the pool after adding it to mix it well. You don't want a green pool on top of a pump problem.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Can't help with the mechanics, but get some chlorine in the water. Bleach or whatever you can get your hands on. Brush the pool after adding it to mix it well. You don't want a green pool on top of a pump problem.
    Thanks. Will do! I'm assuming the problem is a faulty chlorinator.
    Astral EC650 Sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Agree about adding some chlorine in the meantime. BTW, What test kit are you using?

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

welcome, you have just saved your pool by your pump shutting off there is so much information here you will be light years ahead of most people with pools.. Bring your FC up to 7 using liquid chlorine or 8.5 % bleach and brush it in.. test again Sunday morning and bring it back to 7 if needed, that will get you to Monday..

come back here and read pool school so you will know what you need for your pool...

have fun
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

6. Back To Top    #6

What they all said AND come back to share what the pool person says happened so we can all learn from it.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    What they all said AND come back to share what the pool person says happened so we can all learn from it.

Kim
    Thanks everyone. Have added the chlorine. Will let you know the outcome when the pool guy comes back on Monday.
    Astral EC650 Sand filter

8. Back To Top    #8

So the pool guy came. Once he turned the pump on to see that there was a problem, he immediately replaced the cell. Everything is working as it should now.

He said he thought it might be the sensor in the cell that was faulty but couldn't be 100% sure until they test it back at the store.

Anyway, all is good now (crossing my fingers) and thanks for your advice regarding maintaining the pool over the weekend while I waited to have the issue resolved.
    Astral EC650 Sand filter