Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Whattheheck?!?! A cloud of who-knows-what poofed out of my pool jets this morning

1. Back To Top    #1

Whattheheck?!?! A cloud of who-knows-what poofed out of my pool jets this morning

I'm not only tackling cloudy pool/algae/chemical issues but now I have a NEW PROBLEM:
    There are three jets in my pool and I usually only notice a current from one of them. When I started the filter pump this morning, the two other jets started doing their thing. At first a cloud of who-knows-what poofed out of them. One of the jets bubbled for a few seconds too. I immediately dumped a gallon of bleach into the pool. Ok, that's a lie...I took a picture first, THEN dumped bleach into the pool.
    Attachment 42654
    The water is an odd color in the photo but is actually a beautiful clear blue today. Plus a cloud. Does anyone have an educated guess as to why this happened and what the heck the cloud is? --> My guess is algae, but why was it in there?? Thank you!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~ Kelly
    27k gal, IG plaster, chlorine tab floaty thing, Triton TR-60 sand filter, Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump. Decades-old pool. I just bought the house. TF-100 test kit. Pool has a cleaner that rolls around the bottom. We named him "Flounder."

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Whattheheck?!?! A cloud of who-knows-what poofed out of my pool jets this morning

Kelly I would like to ask a couple of questions to make sure I understand.......you say you have 3 returns BUT you have only noticed flow from one in the past. Do you know if there was ANY flow from the other two? Could you feel anything when you held your hand in front of them?

How long have you been in the house? Was the pool there or did you have it built.

Kim (LOVE your name for your cleaner! CUTE!)
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Whattheheck?!?! A cloud of who-knows-what poofed out of my pool jets this morning

Most dead algae is not easily trapped by a sand filter (< 20 microns) so you might try adding some DE to the filter, capture the dead algae and then backwash. Assuming of course all the algae is actually dead.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater