Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine too high

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine too high

I added salt and hooked up my salt water chlorinator (aquatrol hp). I have it set on about the lowest setting for producing chlorine and my pool is at 12fc. My cya is 50, a bit low but i dont want to raise it as i fear that will cause less fc loss during the day and I'll have even higher fc levels.

Also my salt strips read a very low level of salt (780) but i dumped and mixed up 200lbs of salt for my 7000gallon pool. That should have been plenty.
    12X20x54" Saltwater 8000 semi-inground, Waterway 1.5hp 2speed 22" Pump Sand Filter, Hayward Goldline Aquatrol HP SWG, TF100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine too high

How often are you running your pump? If your FC is too high, simply cut down the number of hours you're running the pump. The AquaTrol produce 0.75 lbs (12oz) of chlorine per day.

If you do lower your pump run time, then you should increase your CYA to at least 70ppm. It will protect the chlorine better and allow you to run the SWG for less time thereby getting more time before replacement.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

As for test strips, those are not terribly accurate and can easily go bad from exposure to humidity. 200lbs of salt in 7000 gal should have put you exactly where the cell needs to be. If the cell is happy and producing chlorine, then ignore the strips. A Taylor K-1766 salt test kit is more accurate if you think you'll need to test for salt a lot and it costs around $30 retail.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

I run my pump on low 12 hours a day. I will cut back.
    12X20x54" Saltwater 8000 semi-inground, Waterway 1.5hp 2speed 22" Pump Sand Filter, Hayward Goldline Aquatrol HP SWG, TF100