New Beadcrete Startup Feedback

May 28, 2015
Toronto/ON
We had beadcrete installed in our new 19,100K gallon pool with attached spa on Wednesday, acid washed and water filled as of last night. The installer did a bicarbonate start up, which I've read about in the plaster start up pages. The pump was just turned on this afternoon. Our heater will be turned on on Sunday.

The Pebbletec installer advised to do the following:

-add sequestrant before adjusting pH-
-maintain the pH at 7.2, max 7.4 for 30 days
-no SWG for 30 days
-no pH automation for 30 days
-no calcium adjustments for 7 days
-heat and swim as we wish

I've tested our water using my new TF-100 and the results are as follows:

FC = 0-.5
pH= 8
CYA = 0
CH = 125
TA= 150

I have read Pool School. I have at the ready the following chemicals:

-muriatic acid (5 gallons)
-Liquid chlorine (10.8%) 5.3 gallons
-Stabilizer (solid) 8lb
-"Spa Stain Remover" sequestrant (phosphoric acid, I believe. Is this the right stuff?)
-Borax
-Baking soda

Pool math says I should put in the following:

71 oz liquid chlorine (10.3%) (to bring FC to 3)
77 oz muriatic acid (to bring pH to 7.2)
77 oz stabilizer (solid) (to bring CYA to 30) I figure best to be conservative and target 30 to start?

I'm just looking for a sanity check since this is my first time testing and treating my water. :)

I would also love to get some feedback on the order to do things. Here is what I think I am supposed to do:

1) add sequestrant (no idea how much - should I go by what it suggests on bottle?)
2) wait an hour and add 77 oz muriatic acid (very carefully in front of return, using chemical-resistant gloves)
3) wait (?? hour) and add 71 oz liquid chlorine and
4) add 77 oz stabilizer in a sock, near return or in skimmer basket

Please confirm that this all correct. Thanks in advance for your advice! :wave:

Why the sequestrant. Has your fill water got iron in it?

The sequestrant step is included in the new plaster start up procedure in Pool School. Seeing that, I asked the installer and he said it was OK. If I don't need it, I'd much rather skip it than add an extra chemical.

I can't test for metal at home and I don't know if there is any. The water was mostly was trucked in, so it could conceivably be from a well, I suppose?

Would you suggest that I take a sample to a pool store and test for metal before adding sequestrant? I believed that, if added, sequestrant needed to go in prior to balancing pH, and am eager to get the high pH under control...

OK then. My new pool was getting cloudier by the minute so I didn't want to wait any longer. I went ahead with the treatment that I described above. Hopefully I did everything right.

It's somewhat encouraging that my Taylor test already shows a new pH reading of 7.2 and FC 3.0. I will do an FAS/DPD test in the morning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.