Changing DE filter to catridge filter.

Min

Aug 11, 2015
Buena Park / California
I have a hayward DE filter and ever since previous PB cleaned and put new DE to the filter, I noticed some water leak between main pump body and the pipes and eventually slow leak from the main body itself time to time. I do not know the pressure of my filter when I operate the pump because my pressure gauge is stuck to 10 all the time. Backwashing does not seem to help with leaking.
I have a home warranty from the previous owner so I decided to call for help.
A tech from Teserra came over yesterday and said that the parts have some crack in it. He said Problem is that my DE filter is very old so the Hayward does not make this model anymore. He said getting the parts will be therefore very difficult.
He recommended me to change my filter to catridge filter. He said the DE filter I have is for commercial pool and residential pool does not really need DE filter. He also said DE filter needs a lot more work to maintain due to backwashing and adding DE.
I have been reading pool school so I kinda know th difference between the filters.
I was happy that I have a DE filter because it has the best cleaning power. Now I feel like I am downgrading from the best to the second from the best.
And I do see many negative opinions on catridge filter on internet, so I am kinda concerned about it too.

I had a phone call from the home warranty company today telling me that they are authorizing the tech's recommended work.
Yesterday, the tech pointed out that my pool heater is extrememly old, probably installed at the same time the pool was built, and not working. And of course, it is not possible to find replacement parts.
He also told me my anti siphon valve that is leaking every time I fill my water needs to be replaced.
Since I have so many things needed to be done, the tech was not sure if my warranty company will authorize all of them. He told me the warranty company might even send other pool company out to get second opinion.
lucky for me the warranty company authorized all the work wothout sending another guy out. But the warranty company said they will not replace the water heater. They will pay for the removal, however.
I am not going to use the water heater anyway and was concerning about copper leak from the heater, so I am satisfied.
So my only concern is going from DE to catridge filter. Am I going to see cloudy water in the future?
I am yet to know exactly what kind of catridge filter that is going be installed.
Can you guys give me any heads up or quick run down on what am I facing here?

My previous pool had a DE filter and the one I have in my current pool is a cartridge filter.
Yes, DE is the finest filtration.
Is it noticeable in a well maintained pool, maybe to the discerning eye, but hardly.
I find the cartridge easier and quicker to clean which means I do it more dilligently.
One thing that can be done to make a cartridge filter a little finer is, after cleaning, drop a cup of DE in skimmer to give a slight DE coating on the cartridge.
This also makes the cartridge easier to clean.

Whatever filter you decide on, get it oversized, means more time between cleanings.

Interesting, I was told to never add DE to a cartridge filter. The DE is very sharp and will permanently imbed itself into the filter. DE can be added to a sand filter, but not a cartridge. You can add the fiber DE substitute to either sand or cartridge though.

I was able to call the Teserra and spoke to a customer rep to find out the cartridge filter that they are going to install. The rep had to call the tech to find out (I had an impression that the rep's knowledge of pool is very limited) it is "First choice Waterway 320". Anybody familiar with thos filter? I can't seem to be able to find the filter online.

It's a 325 sq ft cartridge filter. Here is the Amazon listing, showing list price from the manufacturer. You can find it discounted for about $525.

Amazon.com : Waterway 570-0325-07 Crystal Water Cartridge Filter, 325 Square Feet : Swimming Pool Cartridge Filters : Patio, Lawn Garden

I would recommend you pay a bit extra and go up at least to the next size, which is a 425 sq ft and seems to cost about $75 more. Or you could go all the way to a 525 ft. Here is a price comp on all three models.

Waterway Crystal Water Cartridge Pool Filters

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.