Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Starting AA treatment - Question about FC

1. Back To Top    #1

Starting AA treatment - Question about FC

Hi,

I'm starting an AA treatment this weekend to eliminate the staining of my liner. I've already done the vitamin C test and have started to lower my FC. Unfortunately, it's been rainy/cloudy and lowering the FC is taking forever.

First question...how critical is it for FC to be 0 when I start this? I want to do it this weekend so I am home to re-balance and bring the FC back up.

Second question....assuming I use about 2 pounds of Ascorbic Acid, how much bleach will I need to get rid of it? And how slowly do I need to add it?

The AA treatment link just says to re-balance, then bring FC up slowly.
    TF-100 Test kit, 24,000 gal. free form Vinyl. mybluepool AC-600 SWG, STA-RITE S7MD60 DE filter, 3/4 HP STA-RITE MPRA6D pump, Polaris 280 w/booster, Raypack Propane heater, Looplock mesh cover; All located in New England.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Starting AA treatment - Question about FC

Here is a recent thread covering some of this, particularly from post #7 on.

Request help raising chlorine levels after Ascorbic Acid treatment
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks singingpond.....after reading that thread, I decided to try swampwomans method of using Metal Magic only. I did the sponge test and it took 10-15 minutes for the stains to go away in that area. So, based on that, I raised my pH to 7.6 and dumped 5 quarts of MM into my pool this morning. FC was 3.0, which is the low limit for my CYA of 60-70. I went to work today and can report back later this evening as to whether the stains have been removed.

If it works, I guess I will check the water balance and then start bringing FC back up to around 5.0 with bleach. Once it continues to to hold, I will turn my SWG back on.

I'll update the forum as to how it goes.
    TF-100 Test kit, 24,000 gal. free form Vinyl. mybluepool AC-600 SWG, STA-RITE S7MD60 DE filter, 3/4 HP STA-RITE MPRA6D pump, Polaris 280 w/booster, Raypack Propane heater, Looplock mesh cover; All located in New England.

4. Back To Top    #4

Home from work.....not sure if this is expected but FC was down to 1.5, pH down from 7.6 to 7.0 (maybe less).

Stains are pretty much lifted but water is milky. Can barely see the bottom. FIlter pressure has not risen at all.

Should I add Borax to increase the pH?
    Should I start bringing FC up?

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

The treatment plan from ProTeam says to continue filtering 24/7 for at least 3days. So it seems now you just wait for the filter to grab the sequestered metal.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

sounds like a plan, but in the mean time I probably should be keeping the FC to at least the minimum for my CYA (3-5). Agree?

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

sorry I made an update, it's 3 days of 24/7 filtering. If you want to raise the FC, I would be very careful and do it slowly.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the text that I found:
    Continue running the pump and filter for three days frequently checking the filter pressure and backwashing or cleaning as necessary. METAL MAGIC lifts the metal stain from the pool or spa surface and changes it into a crystal that is removed from the water by the filter. The water may turn milky indicating the METAL MAGIC is working faster than the filter. Continue filtering until the water clears.

- - - Updated - - -

The crystal thing is debatable... But it surely is doing something in your pool!
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    sorry I made an update, it's 3 days of 24/7 filtering. If you want to raise the FC, I would be very careful and do it slowly.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the text that I found:
    Continue running the pump and filter for three days frequently checking the filter pressure and backwashing or cleaning as necessary. METAL MAGIC lifts the metal stain from the pool or spa surface and changes it into a crystal that is removed from the water by the filter. The water may turn milky indicating the METAL MAGIC is working faster than the filter. Continue filtering until the water clears.

- - - Updated - - -

The crystal thing is debatable... But it surely is doing something in your pool!
    You can say that again! I turned my crystal clear water into milk in a few hours. Probably because I had a lot of metal in the water. I guess milky water is part of the process. I'm just afraid if I don't add bleach to keep the FC around 3, I will have an algae bloom (Although I did put a quart of poly60 in before I started this).

9. Back To Top    #9

Let us know if it did the job of lifting the stains? Thanks

13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Jandy Automation /w IAqualink
    Autopilot SWG
    Jandy 2.0 HP VSP, Filter Cartridge
    Taylor (FAS-DPD K-2600, Pool Surface: Plaster

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by boston62 View Post
    Let us know if it did the job of lifting the stains? Thanks

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
    I think it did an outstanding job of lifting the stains. My water is still a bit cloudy from the treatment, but I expect it to clear up within a day or 2. If you want more details, I am keeping the following post up to date.

Removing Metal Stains with MM