Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cartridge filter Ring Bursted

1. Back To Top    #1

Cartridge filter Ring Bursted

I have a Cartridge filter- Pentair Pool Product..
    I dont know the model number as it is not mentioned on the filter (the sticker on it mention 5 model- CC50, CC75, CC100, CC150, CC200).

Yesterday evening there was a crack in the ring (which lock the filter) and there was water leaking out of it and pool water was half empty.

I'm relatively new to the pool.
    1) Can someone please let me know how can there be a crack in the ring?
    2) If it is because of the high pressure shall I change the Cartridge filter. Exactly which Cartridge should I by (50sq/ft, 75sq/ft, 100sq/ft, 150sq/ft)?
    3) How often shall I change the Cartridge?

I appreciate someone's feedback. Thanks for your time.

Regards,
    Aj
    Year built: 2000, 16,000 Gallon, In Ground Pebble pool- 90' perimeter/19'*35'(W*L), Pentair Pool filter, 200 sq.ft. cartridge filter, Jandy energy filter, Polaris 360 pool Cleaner, Clear Vision natural water purifier : Model XG, Century centurion pump motor (HP 2.0, Hz: 60, Type: CX), Jandy valve (JVA 2440), Pool heating- Delta family (120V, 60Hz, 3 amps), Aqualink RS6 pool/spa control

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cartridge filter Ring Bursted

AJ, there are a few details that come into play with your question. First the filter housing ring that broke. I'm assuming that is the metal/aluminum ring that goes around the belly of the filter housing and secures the top to the bottom correct? It could've broken for any numbers of reasons, but the two that really come to mind are "age" and "stress fracture", perhaps from not being tightened or secured properly at some point in the past. That's a shame, but things like that do happen. All you can do is look for your filter housing model number, do some on-line searches and order a replacement. That should be a relatively easy fix.

Filter housings are made to support the pressure generated by the pump. All of that should've been sized properly, so I doubt that even if you had a dirty filter it would've cause a failure to that ring. As for the filter size, if you can't find a model number anywhere (even on the outer housing), then at least measure the length (height) of the filter and its circumference. Then you can go to Amazon on-line or your local pool store and search for cartridge filters that size. I did that for mine (on-line) and got my filter for about $50.

I hope this helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi- Thank you so much for your reply.
    I am attaching the pic of the ring which is broken and the water was leaking from the broken ring.
    The model number is not mentioned on the filter. I will check the size. Do you know how often we should change the cartridge? I have mo clue whether I should change it now or not?
    Attachment 42641Attachment 42642Attachment 42643

Regards,
    Aj
    Year built: 2000, 16,000 Gallon, In Ground Pebble pool- 90' perimeter/19'*35'(W*L), Pentair Pool filter, 200 sq.ft. cartridge filter, Jandy energy filter, Polaris 360 pool Cleaner, Clear Vision natural water purifier : Model XG, Century centurion pump motor (HP 2.0, Hz: 60, Type: CX), Jandy valve (JVA 2440), Pool heating- Delta family (120V, 60Hz, 3 amps), Aqualink RS6 pool/spa control

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Also, a lot of the Pentair products use similar housings. When you look at the 5 options, one of them should have a check mark or be scratched out. In my case they popped out a little circle next to the 320.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir