Hot tub suggestions

Sseaman

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 6, 2013
Nashville, TN
We are thinking about getting a standalone hot tub for this fall and winter to have off to the side of our pool deck. Not looking for anything crazy, just a warm spot when the pool is cold. Any recommendations of what to look for or to stay away from? Are 110v models sufficient?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stick with the major brands like Hot Spring, Jucuzzi, Dimension One, Bullfrog, Caldera, ... And stay away from the big box store specials, as they are built to a price point. As to the 120V models, my Hot Spring Jetsetter (2-3 person tub) is a 120/240V convertible model which I have connected for 120V, in 120V mode the heater runs at 1,500 watts, and when the jet pump is running the heater turns off, if wired for 240V then the heater would run at 5,000 watts and both heater and jet pump would run at the same time. Overall operating in 120V mode works ok for me, the down side is that the water cools off a little (1-2 degrees as the jets do help maintain some heat) while the jets are running, but this is usually not a big deal with the way I use the tub which is mainly for hydrotherapy for my back. If I were to use the tub for hours at a time with the jets running as a more social tub, then I would want to wire it for 240V in order to maintain a constant temperature. Overall even in 1,500 watt mode the heater does ok, it just takes longer to warm up the water after a refill (12-18 hours).

Ike

We have a 120/240 convertible tub also. Had to convert it to 240v. It would not keep up with us sitting in the tub for longer times. We love our tub, makes winter a whole lot better.

I went old school :) Mine is built with old tech, heater, filter, 3 pumps, 3 led lights.. no motherboard, nothing to fry in 3 years.. but it is a commercial tub and will probably last me 20 to 30 years.. I can change pumps, filter, anything in it I want..

The newer tubs are nice looking but new tech can cost you if it goes out... 240v is the way to go...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.