I read some threads, but thought I should post a specific question. The problem is... we have neared the end of pool season. However, we are about to set record high temps this weekend with another cold snap to quickly follow. Today - 103F. Tomorrow - 99. Sunday - 94. Then Monday - 80. Tuesday 75, etc. So my motivation to shock and wait is pretty low. Read on...
After about 10 days of no swimming following a prior cold snap, a fishing trip and a Labor Day camping session, the weather had warmed and I received a text from the DW on Wednesday asking if the pool was in shape for swimming. (It always is unless I apprise her otherwise, but it's a good idea to check and make sure.)
I told her I had tested it (FAS-DPD) that morning and she was sanitized, balanced and good to go! (in fact, the FC was on the high end of the suggested range per the Pool Calculator.)
A bit later I received another text... with a photo. The pool was not sanitary after all. The floating, dead Opossum was apparently about mid-pool until the cover unrolling brought it to the steps.
Upon my return home from work... I surveyed the damage. The animal was fully intact with no oozing or anything, though it did have a fairly pungent odor. I admit it's possible the thing had been there for as many as 10 days, but it doesn't seem highly likely to me.
I promptly removed it and added 1 jug of bleach in hopes of easing the concerns of the DW.
In my estimation, there isn't much that animal could be carrying that could survive that level of chlorine. Pool Calculator recommends 5-9 ppm with a CYA of 60 and I have not noticed added chlorine use.
FC - Was 8.5. Bumped to 10.5 with 1 jug of bleach after discovery. A day and a half later (this morning) it's still at 9.5
CC - < O.5
pH - 7.5
Alk (CYA adjusted) - 100
CYA - 60
Temp - 84-87 (solar)
The CDC says we're in good shape...