Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dead Animal (Opossum) in the Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Dead Animal (Opossum) in the Pool

Good morning,

I read some threads, but thought I should post a specific question. The problem is... we have neared the end of pool season. However, we are about to set record high temps this weekend with another cold snap to quickly follow. Today - 103F. Tomorrow - 99. Sunday - 94. Then Monday - 80. Tuesday 75, etc. So my motivation to shock and wait is pretty low. Read on...

After about 10 days of no swimming following a prior cold snap, a fishing trip and a Labor Day camping session, the weather had warmed and I received a text from the DW on Wednesday asking if the pool was in shape for swimming. (It always is unless I apprise her otherwise, but it's a good idea to check and make sure.)

I told her I had tested it (FAS-DPD) that morning and she was sanitized, balanced and good to go! (in fact, the FC was on the high end of the suggested range per the Pool Calculator.)

A bit later I received another text... with a photo. The pool was not sanitary after all. The floating, dead Opossum was apparently about mid-pool until the cover unrolling brought it to the steps.

Upon my return home from work... I surveyed the damage. The animal was fully intact with no oozing or anything, though it did have a fairly pungent odor. I admit it's possible the thing had been there for as many as 10 days, but it doesn't seem highly likely to me.

I promptly removed it and added 1 jug of bleach in hopes of easing the concerns of the DW.

In my estimation, there isn't much that animal could be carrying that could survive that level of chlorine. Pool Calculator recommends 5-9 ppm with a CYA of 60 and I have not noticed added chlorine use.

FC - Was 8.5. Bumped to 10.5 with 1 jug of bleach after discovery. A day and a half later (this morning) it's still at 9.5
    CC - < O.5
    pH - 7.5
    Alk (CYA adjusted) - 100
    CYA - 60
    Temp - 84-87 (solar)

The CDC says we're in good shape...

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swim...and-pools.html

Your thoughts?
    20,000 gallon, 16x32 vinyl lined, in-ground, diving pool.
    Fafco panels & Compool controller. Pool season +/- 4/1-10/31
    Trichlor pucks until CYA rises to where I want it for a given season, then liquid bleach.
    Sand Filter
    Taylor K2006C

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dead Animal (Opossum) in the Pool

Typically when something like this happens we advise members to take the pool up to SLAM level for maybe one day based on your CYA. In your case, a CYA would require and FC of 24 based on the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart. You may even want to consider doing an OCLT just to ensure there are no concerns. Also give the filter a good cleaning/backwashing, perhaps replace DE if it applies, then you should be fine.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with Texas Splash---especially if that was a short swim for the critter.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks TS & Woody.

I can't say I did an OCLT, exactly, but...

After removing the critter at about 6 pm Wednesday evening, I brought the level to 10.5.

After one night... the next day of full sun (though pool covered) and one more night... I tested at dawn this morning.

Chlorine dropped to 9.5.

I'll start a proper OCLT this evening but a 10% drop in the above conditions seems reasonable to me. How 'bout you?
    Trichlor pucks until CYA rises to where I want it for a given season, then liquid bleach.
    Sand Filter
    Taylor K2006C

5. Back To Top    #5

Why didn't you take it to 24 which is SLAM value for your CYA? Even for a day? That's what we suggested to you.
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    Why didn't you take it to 24 which is SLAM value for your CYA? Even for a day? That's what we suggested to you.
    Because I just posted the OP this morning and you just made that suggestion 45 minutes ago.
    Sand Filter
    Taylor K2006C

7. Back To Top    #7

OOPS! Bad timing on my part. But you can still take it to SLAM value for a day and lose no precious swim time.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    OOPS! Bad timing on my part. But you can still take it to SLAM value for a day and lose no precious swim time.
    OK. So you're suggesting I do a quick SLAM today and then hit it with some thiosulfate before swim time tomorrow, eh?
    Sand Filter
    Taylor K2006C

9. Back To Top    #9

As long as the FC is below the shock level for your CYA, it's perfectly safe to swim without burning up the FC with thiosulfate. You could if you like, but perfectly safe either way.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    As long as the FC is below the shock level for your CYA, it's perfectly safe to swim without burning up the FC with thiosulfate. You could if you like, but perfectly safe either way.
    Yeah, I learned that here in my last thread. Thanks!

However... even with perfect balance, isn't it going to be a little uncomfortable?

Also...

I've read the ChemGeek stuff on chlorine vs CYA, but thought the Pool Calculator was the most up to date as far as real world experience.

Pool Calculator says 18 for shock (34 for mustard algae.) Why do I need to go to 24?
    Sand Filter
    Taylor K2006C

11. Back To Top    #11

I believe in your 1st post you stated your CYA was 60, so using the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart, that equates to an FC of 24. If you're looking at the Poolmath calculator, the "5-9" is for the normal range. 24 is still "shock" level.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    I believe in your 1st post you stated your CYA was 60, so using the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart, that equates to an FC of 24. If you're looking at the Poolmath calculator, the "5-9" is for the normal range. 24 is still "shock" level.
    I was using The Pool Calculator
    Sand Filter
    Taylor K2006C

13. Back To Top    #13

Ahhhhh! That's why. Yeah, TFP stopped maintaining that program a while back. Please use this one in the future: Poolmath calculator .

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Ahhhhh! That's why. Yeah, TFP stopped maintaining that program a while back. Please use this one in the future: Poolmath calculator .
    Well lookie there! And yep... with a CYA of 60... this updated version suggests 24 for shock.

24 it is!

Thanks!
    Sand Filter
    Taylor K2006C

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Roguewave View Post
    However... even with perfect balance, isn't it going to be a little uncomfortable?
    I haven't swam much in my pool with an FC above 10, but my CYA was only 30 ppm at the time. Those FC levels at your CYA aren't likely to be very noticeable. May be a bit harsher on hair and bathing suits (fading) but only a small amount. If you're worried, you can always give it a test swim yourself before lowering the FC from 20ish that it's at and if you find it uncomfortable, thiosulfate it down.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    I haven't swam much in my pool with an FC above 10, but my CYA was only 30 ppm at the time. Those FC levels at your CYA aren't likely to be very noticeable. May be a bit harsher on hair and bathing suits (fading) but only a small amount. If you're worried, you can always give it a test swim yourself before lowering the FC from 20ish that it's at and if you find it uncomfortable, thiosulfate it down.
    Yeah, my girls trust me for my great pool water. And now that replacing ecomatic cells is no longer feasible, I'm a bit handicapped in that regard until I can afford a new SWG. A little thiosulfate will be worth the dough.
    Sand Filter
    Taylor K2006C