Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haven't shocked all year....

1. Back To Top    #1

Haven't shocked all year....

So I switched to the TFPC method this year and use a Stenner pump, etc. I have gone all summer with chemicals being in range and the pool being clear. As such, I have not shocked the pool in 2015. Is that a problem or should I just be glad that I don't need to mess with it.

I guess my question more simply is: "Do you need to shock the pool periodically regardless of tests/clarity?"
    14,800 gallons in-ground vinyl. sand filter. 1.5 hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Haven't shocked all year....

No. Only time to do anything is if algae shows up. Otherwise, enjoy. That's the TFPC way!!
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

You are obviously going through pool store withdrawals. It happened to all of us at one time. I suggest a prescription of more swimming via TFPC and less worry. Enjoy!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Bump your Stenner pump up a bit if you feel the need to 'shock' your pool! LOL Kidding....
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Ha, maybe you could tell it something so ridiculous it would be "shocked" to hear it. Or, if it's the prude type, a naughty joke, lol. That would certainly shock it! (Sorry, feeling a bit cheeky tonight.)
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I hope not, I haven't shocked my pool ever!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Keep in mind that its pool stores who have you convinced that routine "shocking" is necessary.
    So of course they're gonna to tell you its need and will sell it to you happily.

Ya think they're offering "free pool water tests" out of the goodness of their hearts?! LOL
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Ya think they're offering "free pool water tests" out of the goodness of their hearts?! LOL
    I always thought Leslie's was altruistic for our pool's health.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    You are obviously going through pool store withdrawals. It happened to all of us at one time.
    ^^100% this^^

The most fun way to get through this is to have people over to admire your water quality. When they ask you how you do it, look around like you are about to tell them a huge secret. Beckon them in closer and ask in a very low voice, "Do you have any idea how often you have to shock to keep the water this clear?" They will tell you no, or try to guess. Just shake your head, look around again, and speak even quieter, "Absolutely never..." and look at them all wide eyed. Then switch completely back to normal and ask them how they think the Cowboys will do this year and refuse to speak about the pool the rest of the evening. Do this to as many people as you can and let the buzz take on a life of its own.

Good times. Good times.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

10. Back To Top    #10

This is known as sparklypoolitis. After converting to TFP it's very common. Frequently exhibits itself with feelings of disbelief with cited comments of: "It's really this easy?!?" or "I never knew pool water could look this good." also "You mean I never have to go to the pool store... ever?!?" and even "Wait... I don't have to throw mystery stuff in my pool anymore, praying for results?" Frequently leads to spending the saved money on pool toys, gadgets and extra sunscreen for the increased usage of the pool. Can eventually lead to further complications such as pool snob behavior, where nearly all hotel or public pools have no appeal or invoke feelings of disgust.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

11. Back To Top    #11

FWIW, at least in my area, Leslie's actually has the better muriatic acid (the 31.45% stuff) over Lowe's or HD (14.5% only) and it is only a couple dollars more for better than twice the concentration but I got lucky and found they had a sale on it last I was in so I bought 4 gallons. Also, some pool stores have pretty good deals on their liquid chlorine...particularly HASA (12.5%) chlorine. So for the TFP-Informed, pool stores can still be viable places to visit.

Incidentally, when I was at Leslie's to get my MA, I witnessed two distressed ladies having algae problems with their pool and two different employees gave them both the same song and dance and sold them all kinds of stuff to fix it. I SO wanted to take the ladies aside and truly help them. Sometimes I feel like we should have TFP 'business cards' to handout to folks like this!
    ----Chris----

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

We do!! If you do a search for it there is even a print you can do if you want to. But if you ask nicely I think Dave or Rebecca will send you some of them...

- - - Updated - - -

I made my own from the template and I stick them into hands when I'm near a pool store. I say simply, "Pay it forward" and walk away.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

13. Back To Top    #13

I've gone over five years without shocking my pool.

The one time I tried to shock it, the GFI popped the instant the hairdryer hit the water.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Bad, bad man!

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post

The one time I tried to shock it, the GFI popped the instant the hairdryer hit the water.
    Haha.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

16. Back To Top    #16

Ive done told ya Richard a thousand times, "Quit trying to curl your hair while IN the pool." Some people just wont listen....... LOL
    Randy H.

Intex 18' X 48"
    G.A.M.E. Sandpro 75 Sand Filter (Single Speed 3/4 HP, 75 lbs sand, 2650 GPH, 7-way valve)

17. Back To Top    #17

New BBB pool owner here, I stopped using tricolor pucks and added my very first dose of bleach yesterday!

Ok, to all who have never shocked pool, don't combined clorimines eventually build up in pool which requires shocking?

I have never shocked my pool as its only 2 months old and after testing no CC are showing up.
    Steve- 19K IG PebbleTec (sandy beach color pebble) final plaster/pebble August 2015
    Jandy pro cartridge filter
    Jandy pro series Plus HP PHPF pump w/waterfall
    Polaris 360 pressure cleaner- TF-100 w/SpeedStir
    50ppm Borates

18. Back To Top    #18

In an outdoor pool, combined chlorine species dissipate very quickly due to the exposure to sunlight (UV light), especially when proper FC levels are maintained for your CYA level. The only time you'll see combined chlorine species hang around or be measurable for any length of time is when dealing with an algae outbreak or special circumstances when dealing with ammonia in the pool. Indoor pools and spas on the other hand have a tendency to build up combined chlorine because they do not get sunlight and have much higher bather loads as a rule. In this case, it's best to use an ozone or UV accessory or I believe using MPS can deal with combined chlorine build up in these indoor pools.

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by steve57765 View Post
    Ok, to all who have never shocked pool, don't combined clorimines eventually build up in pool which requires shocking?
    Proper FC levels and sunlight burn off CC in outdoor pools. I personally haven't gotten a hint of pink on the CC test this entire year on my pool.

And we never shock a pool with excessive CC. We SLAM it. You will need to stay after class Steve
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

20. Back To Top    #20

Thanks train

- - - Updated - - -

Woops sorry mr. Donldson, everyone else is calling it shocking
    Steve- 19K IG PebbleTec (sandy beach color pebble) final plaster/pebble August 2015
    Jandy pro cartridge filter
    Jandy pro series Plus HP PHPF pump w/waterfall
    Polaris 360 pressure cleaner- TF-100 w/SpeedStir
    50ppm Borates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast