Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ozonator shmozonator...

1. Back To Top    #1

Ozonator shmozonator...

So the ozonator in our outdoor hot tub is shot. The dealer told us you can't just replace the bulbs because blahblahblahblah. After reading several threads int he pool section. it looks like an ozonator is pointless if the pool/hotub is located outside? Is that true?

Of course the maintenance guy went over the "features" of having one in the hot tub - use less chemicals.. and more blahblahblah.

Can I get an honest opinion on this expensive part that lasts.. ohhhh a couple years? Thanks all!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Ozonator shmozonator...

Here it is. The honest opinion. No need for normal residential bather loads. If exposed to sunlight, even less reason.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Hello and welcome to TFP! I think the following post from one of our resident experts (Chem geek) sums it up very well:
    The biggest plus with a functioning ozonator (not all work properly or put out enough ozone to work well) is that it will oxidize many contaminants in the water, but it's not fast as it takes time to get water circulated through the ozonator. Though spas circulate water faster than pools, it still takes 4.6 turnovers of the water to get 99% of the water through the ozonator and that's assuming no dead spots. You still need a residual sanitizer if you're going to prevent bacterial growth in the bulk pool water.
    The biggest minus with an ozonator is that it mostly injects air into the water and that aerates the water. If the ozonator is always on (and many are), this leads to a rise in pH if you use a hypochlorite source of chlorine. So many spa users use Dichlor which is acidic (when accounting for chlorine usage) and this helps maintain the pH, but has the CYA rise.
    An ozonator probably makes more sense in a bromine spa than a chlorine spa as it can reactivate the bromide to bromine (though can create bromates -- so don't drink the water) and most bromine systems are net acidic so the pH will be more stable with the ozonator. As was pointed out, it is technically unnecessary if one maintains a residual sanitizer (chlorine, bromine, PHMB/biguanide/Baqua).
    Just keep in mind that the sanitizer usage in a spa is MUCH higher than in a pool due to the lower water volume (higher bather load) and higher temperature that causes one to produce more sweat and causes chlorine to outgas more (especially with an ozonator).
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

In hot tubs that are covered the majority of the time they can have a place depending on bather load, and more importantly there is not much of a downside. So in other words if you use your hot tub a lot and keep it covered when not in use then yes an Ozonator can help, however if you only soak in it on the weekends, etc. then an Ozonator will actually consume more chlorine than the tub would use to oxidize bather waste if you did not have one. Also unlike Ozonators for pools, ones built for hot tubs are relatively cheap (about $100 for a Del brand Ozonator new off ebay, Del makes Ozonators for a number of other companies and are probably the biggest name in the market).

Ike

p.s. traditional models are only good for a couple of years, but some of these newer cornoa discharge units have a 5+ year life expectancy
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

When I open my Jacuzzi and smell that green apple ozone aroma, I smell safe water.
    Viking Maui 2300g fiberglass in ground pool in a screened room with polycarbonate roof. 45gpm pump with sand filter manually chlorinated. Entire pool water can cycle in 51 minutes. Jacuzzi 336g hot tub with ozonator, manually chlorinated. TF 100 test kit with speed stir. Fungi pronounced Fun Guy, I'm Jim

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for all the replies. Ours is outside with a cover...and we typically use it 2-3 times per week in the winter...and rarely in the summer.

We use bromine tabs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Back To Top    #7

So I installed a new Del dc50. It looks like I just unplug the old one and plug in the new one?????

I recorded my setup on YouTube...would love intput if I did something wrong. I'm just worried if the tubing is set up correctly.

Sep 19, 2015 - YouTube

8. Back To Top    #8

If your Del ozonator is like mine you can hear when air is being sucked through it, and there is a small filter cap you can put your finger over to block the airflow if you are not sure. As long as there is airflow through the ozonator, you are getting bubbles and there is power to it you should be good.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter

9. Back To Top    #9

Is there any reason that it would stop running? I checked it today and it wasn't running. Not sure if it runs off and on.

10. Back To Top    #10

I posted another youtube video here: Sep 20, 2015 - YouTube

The issue here is...I can't seem to locate where the injector valve is located in my setup. I believe the elbow joint you can see in the video is used to connect different size tubes. My spa is an early 2000 model.. maybe 2003. The type of ozonator I had previously is posted above - UltraPure ozonator. This ozonator wasn't connected to any type of injector - at least from what I could see. The light on the ozonator was working yesterday.. and now it isn't. I'm not sure these issues burnt out the ozonator.

11. Back To Top    #11

Depending on type of tub you have the ozonator may be connected to an internal timer

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    Depending on type of tub you have the ozonator may be connected to an internal timer
    Interesting... so it may be a different setup for the ozone injector and it's just that the "internal clock" might have it off at the moment. I will check tomorrow morning and see what it looks like. I'll keep you posted - thanks!

13. Back To Top    #13

Issac- by chance.. did you happen to take a look at the last video I posted. I'm still unsure if this is even hooked up correctly as I can clearly see no sign of an injector in any part of the connections. The tube to the ozonator is connected to the flow piece... which is then connected to a small segment which has water... then connected to an elbow ... which is then connected to a larger tube.

14. Back To Top    #14

I could not spot one in the video, but that does not mean it is not there, the tube must go into something.