Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Add more salt?

1. Back To Top    #1

Add more salt?

Split by moderator from HERE. jblizzle

I had my pool built in June of 2015 and added 7 50 pound bags currently my salt readings is 2850 should I put more salt in there
    live in central valley pebble Tech 18920 gallons pentair pump sheer decent salt water IGP built June 2015

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Salt water chlorine generator question.

It is best to start your own new thread when you have a question.

I would add more up to 3200 ppm since that is what Pentair says is ideal. But, it isn't a priority if the SWG is working fine, making chlorine and not giving a low salt warning light. Definitely, grab a bag or two next time you are at the store.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Add more salt?

I like to do my own salt test and not rely on my SWG reading because while the device doesn't read salt level correctly, it works just fine. In doing my own tests I am assured of the level and don't over or under dose by mistake.

Taylor's K-1766 Salt test kit is my test of choice.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Definitely do not rely on the salt test tabs. I found the SaltDip Digital Pool Water Chemistry Tester SaltDip Digital Pool Water Chemistry Tester
    Sold by: In The Swim Pool Supplies on Amazon and it works great!

Jim & Leslie Pasch
    Intex Ultraframe 18'x9'x52" AG (6900 gal)
    Sand filter Pump & SWG (Intex Model ECO 15110)
    Install date: 11 July 2015

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Jimp100 View Post
    Definitely do not rely on the salt test tabs. I found the SaltDip Digital Pool Water Chemistry Tester SaltDip Digital Pool Water Chemistry Tester
    Sold by: In The Swim Pool Supplies on Amazon and it works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We are generally not fans of digital tests. They require frequent and accurate calibration to keep them reporting numbers close to reality ... and even then there is no way to be sure it is not spitting out a random number.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Generally what is important isn't to carefully measure and maintain a specific salt level. The goal is just to keep the SWG system happy and generating chlorine. Sometimes as the cell is at the very end of its life I can get a false low salt reading, but other than that I just go by the control panels reading. Salt tests aren't very accurate anyway, so what's the point.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit