Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 7-year solar cover deteriorate in 5 months? little plastics all over pool

1. Back To Top    #1

7-year solar cover deteriorate in 5 months? little plastics all over pool

I started to use my pool cover in April/May, it's now sept and the so called 7 year Thermo-Tex cover is falling apart. It's ripping as I pull it and there are a bunch of little plastics from the bubbles floating around the pool.

I keep my FC @ 4% and don't cover when I'm slamming, Occassionally, I'd spike the chlorine up to 7 or 8 and let it drift down when I'm away but don't cover my pool when I know my FC is above 4ish. Anyone have this issue?
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 7-year solar cover deteriorate in 5 months? little plastics all over pool

You are very lucky it lasted 7 years, mine usually only last 2 years but then I get the cheapest I can find. But that is exactly what happens to my covers when they fail.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    You are very lucky it lasted 7 years, mine usually only last 2 years but then I get the cheapest I can find. But that is exactly what happens to my covers when they fail.
    no no, I got the one with the best warranty 7 years but it only lasted 5 months.
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

4. Back To Top    #4

I believe his cover is supposed to last 7 years according to the sales pitch ut had only lasted 5 months. Should be under warranty.
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

5. Back To Top    #5

This makes me glad I bought the el cheapo 8 mil cover that I only hope to get 2 years out of...
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

Whoa. Boy did I read that wrong. 5 months is ridiculous. Did you get if from one of the big box stores? It could have been on the shelf for a while.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Time to use the warranty, let us know how it is resolved.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

8. Back To Top    #8

I ordered from Home Depot but they drop shipped from the mfg in Canada, They want me to cut off a 12x12 section and send it to them for inspection to see if it was chemical damaged or abused. blah blah I hear it could take more than 6 weeks to hear anything back.
    SF Bay

9. Back To Top    #9

I have two questions for you:
    Who manufactured the cover?
    How did your warranty get resolved if at all?
    Lou - 13.5K Gal pool, AG Intex 24 X 52"
    19" Sand Filter/1 hp pump, Aqua Trol SWG
    90 sq ft Homemade Solar panels + 80 sq ft Fafco panels, coupled with a SS heat exchanger/Hot Water Tank, Pentair SolarTouch, Taylor k-2006

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by LFrankow View Post
    I have two questions for you:
    Who manufactured the cover?
    How did your warranty get resolved if at all?
    Home Depot sell it as Thermo-Tex

Here's the exact one I have
    Thermo-Tex 16 ft. x 32 ft. 7-Year Rectangular Clear In-Ground Solar Pool Blanket-2951632 - The Home Depot

The manufacture is Polyair, they seem responsive but lets see what happens. I purchased the 7 year cover hoping for it to last at least half of that then if it goes bad, toss it cause prorated warranty are imo a big gimmick . Also expect the longer warranty ones are of better quality. At this rate, I might as well purchase a large roll of bubble wraps and toss it in the pool and replace it once a season.
    SF Bay

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Wow that bites. I've been buying the cheap covers instead of the expensive ones for some time now because the last expensive one I got lasted no longer than the cheap ones do anyway. I would attempt to take it to your local Home Depot, and see if you have any luck there getting your money back on it?

I agree it is a royal pain having to cut a section off, send it in, wait for a response, (which you can about guarantee their going to blame it on chemicals even if that wasn't the cause). Sadly, the warrantees on some of the expensive covers only last as long as it takes for you to make it through the site's checkout. . Good luck, and keep us posted on what happens.
    24' Round x 4.5 ft deep AGP (15,200 Gallons), Vinyl Liner, Hayward Vari Flo XL Sand Filter- (model SP0714T1),
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, SLAM & the Chlorine/CYA CHART. Support this Site! TFP Totally Rocks.

12. Back To Top    #12

Ty for the reply, I was leaning towards getting the deluxe cover next spring. looks like I will be going with the cheapo for sure.
    Lou - 13.5K Gal pool, AG Intex 24 X 52"
    19" Sand Filter/1 hp pump, Aqua Trol SWG
    90 sq ft Homemade Solar panels + 80 sq ft Fafco panels, coupled with a SS heat exchanger/Hot Water Tank, Pentair SolarTouch, Taylor k-2006

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Fill out a log of you test results and send it with the cover. (Maybe state the chlorine a little lower, as they likely won't be TFP'ers) maybe that would help. ?

I got the cheaper, lighter cover, after reading different threads on here. One reason is that I can "kind of" get it back on myself. If nothing else, my arms get a good workout, ha ha.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

14. Back To Top    #14

I just wanted to update my issue and the outcome of the warranty claim. If this happened in the middle of summer, it would be very sad since it takes at least a full month between times of sending samples to Canada and receiving a replacement back.

However, the warranty department was very responsive and keeping me up to date with my claim status. Since my cover crapped out in less than 6 months, a replacement was sent out free of charge... It's warranty for 3 year full replacement I only pay for shipping from California warehouse. After that it's prorated.

I have a clear cover, they sent me a blue one. I emailed my contact there and hours later I was told to keep the blue cover and they'll send me a clear replacement. I mean for the price they sold this cover for, the 2 replacement shipping cost probably at up all their profit but they did it w/o blinking an eye. With that said, I'm completely supportive of this company and will continue to use their product.

FWIW: I asked them did they find anything on the cover cause I certainly don't want to go through this again next year when I start using the new cover. Was told all looks good and that it could simply be UV related.

To be fair to the company, I do think I have issues with my chemical, the straps for my pool cover also failed prematurely.
    SF Bay

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks for updating the outcome, it's nice to see a company stand by their product.

Post a full set of test results and we can offer some suggestions that might be of help.

UV will dry out and damage a solar cover if the cover is exposed to the sun while out of the water.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

16. Back To Top    #16

So the thing to do is to have an opaque preferably white or reflective cover you can put over the rolled-up solar cover so that it blocks the UV from sunlight and also does not get too hot. Both heat and UV are damaging to the plastic in bubble-type solar covers. On the water, it's much more protected since it's cooled by the water and air though the UV can still cause some damage over time and is part of what has the covers degrade over a few years. Chlorine also slowly oxidizes the material in contact with the water though usually that's only more noticeable at higher SLAM levels which is a reason to uncover the pool during a SLAM.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

17. Back To Top    #17

Glad this worked out, I tried a warranty return on a PolyAir this summer, and they denied me. I have high CYA so keep a high FC and they said it burnt the cover.

My next pool cover came from Canada also. I think they have cornered the pool cover market.
    22,000 gallon IG; plaster; 16x32 Rectangular, Depth 3.5-8Ft.
    Hayward Pro-Grid DE Filter - 48sqft w/ cellulose fiber & Hayward Energy Flo RS Pump - .75HP (1.85SF)
    Very old 312sqft solar system, TFT-100 Kit with Speedstir

18. Back To Top    #18

You saying they stood by it makes me want to use them.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.