Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sick of buying new ozonator due to back flow check valve failure.

1. Back To Top    #1

Sick of buying new ozonator due to back flow check valve failure.

On my 4th ozonator due to the back flow check valve failing. This one lasted only 14 months. Any useful advice would be appreciated.
    Viking Maui 2300g fiberglass in ground pool in a screened room with polycarbonate roof. 45gpm pump with sand filter manually chlorinated. Entire pool water can cycle in 51 minutes. Jacuzzi 336g hot tub with ozonator, manually chlorinated. TF 100 test kit with speed stir. Fungi pronounced Fun Guy, I'm Jim

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sick of buying new ozonator due to back flow check valve failure.

Is your bather load in the spa that high that you really need the ozone?
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Have you been cleaning the ozone line with vinegar every 6 months?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Bucky, my wife has RA and she takes medication to lower her immune system. So the ozonator is an additional safeguard so she can enjoy the therapy of the hot tub safely. Isaak, I replace the tubes every 6 months.

I just wish I could find a more reliable, longer lasting check valve. Spending $100 when a $5 part fails get's old fast. I even go to the trouble of making sure there is a complete loop of tubing above the water line.
    Viking Maui 2300g fiberglass in ground pool in a screened room with polycarbonate roof. 45gpm pump with sand filter manually chlorinated. Entire pool water can cycle in 51 minutes. Jacuzzi 336g hot tub with ozonator, manually chlorinated. TF 100 test kit with speed stir. Fungi pronounced Fun Guy, I'm Jim

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Does your spa ozone tubing have a Hartford Loop in it? That means that the tubing is somewhere looped higher than the water level by at least 6 "

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi Old Pool Man,

Yes, I have looped the tubing so that it touches the top of the fiberglass shell but it does not help. When the check valve fails, water get's in the line and kills the ozonator. My setup matches the diagram, except the check valve is on the siphon injector side of the loop. However I think this time it may not have killed the ozonator. The GFCI was tripping so I opened ti up and saw the water in the line, so I capped the tube and unplugged the ozonator. Today I tested the ozonator without the tubing connecting it to the plumbing and it ran for a long time without tripping the GFCI. I need to find a check valve so I can test it. Mail order is so slow.

hartford_loop copy.jpg