Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Jandy sweep elbow?

1. Back To Top    #1

Jandy sweep elbow?

Of the many things I found while planning my pump install was the Jandy sweep elbow designed to provide less hydraulic friction in an elbow. I liked the idea first but when I realized they recommend a transition cement (ABC-PVC) for it I lost interest. This sweep elbow must be made of ABS (or CPVC I read elsewhere). I rather keep everything to good old PVC.

Anyway what do you guys think of this elbow?
    27,000 gal in ground white plaster pool. Sta-Rite System 3 DE filter, Sta-Rite heater and 2 HP pump. Solar heating on roof.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Jandy sweep elbow?

Quote Originally Posted by Tapio View Post
    Of the many things I found while planning my pump install was the Jandy sweep elbow designed to provide less hydraulic friction in an elbow. I liked the idea first but when I realized they recommend a transition cement (ABC-PVC) for it I lost interest. This sweep elbow must be made of ABS (or CPVC I read elsewhere). I rather keep everything to good old PVC.

Anyway what do you guys think of this elbow?
    Why not just use a regular SCH40 PVC Sweep?
    http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...7739&catid=726

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

You could use sweeps but they are not commonly available in the 2" or 2.5" size unless you order online and they are 2x the cost of a regular elbow. I don't think it is necessary to worry about the extra loss associated with regular elbows as most people likely have somewhat oversized pumps for their pools in general. You might consider two 45s in place of a single 90.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    Why not just use a regular SCH40 PVC Sweep?
    http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...7739&catid=726

Dom
    Thanks, it did not occur to me they made these regular ones.
    27,000 gal in ground white plaster pool. Sta-Rite System 3 DE filter, Sta-Rite heater and 2 HP pump. Solar heating on roof.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Mas985 is our hydraulics guy but he will confirm that the friction loss in a regular 90 is small enough not to pay it any attention. In short, use standard 90's.........the head loss is almost inconsequential.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I thought I read that sweeps are becoming required fittings in California.
    33k, IG Pebble, 1.5hp Challenger, Pentair FNS, TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Required in what sense? For pool plumbing?
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

8. Back To Top    #8