Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My skimmer is not sucking in any water

1. Back To Top    #1

belle vernon/pa

Exclamation My skimmer is not sucking in any water

Hey all, I am new around here and in need of some layman's term help. My skimmer is not sucking any water, thus not bringing any water to the filter and then pump. This kind of started out of nowhere on Tuesday and now I am going on 2 full days without running my filter or getting any chemicals into my water. The water level was high and a friend told us that we needed an Oxygen source...there wasn't one because the water was higher than the top of the skimmer, so we got rid of some water and tried to get the pump to catch a suction and no luck. We thought there might be a blockage but it doesn't seem like that is the problem either. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help or recommendations!

Inground Pool
    18 feet x 36 feet pool
    Hayward Earth Filter EC65A
    Depth of pool goes from 4 feet to 8 feet
    Stacy G, Inground pool with liner, 18 x 34 feet, Hayward Perflex EC65A Pool Pump and Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Dallas Ga

Re: My skimmer is not sucking in any water

Is there water in the pump basket area? I bet there isn't. You probably need to prime the pump.

Another thing that just occurred to me... Pull the skimmer basket out and check that the hole in the bottom of the pot is not blocked.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me) Goldline SWG Intermec 104 TImer Test kit K-2006-C

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Welcome to TFP!

Always add bleach daily and brush your pool to mix it if you have any pump, filter or other issues. That way you don't have a plumbing issue and a swamp!

+1 on priming the pump. Stick a hose in the pump strainer basket until it overflows, put the lid kn and start the pump. Let us know what happens.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

I'm just going to toss out an random thougt or two-

The correct level for pool water is important to the skimmer function. The right level is midway to the skimmer frame, so that there is always water above the pipe and the water doesn't cavitate, but not higher than halfway so that water isn't moving.

Did the valve to the skimmer get turned off by accident?
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter

5. Back To Top    #5

Dalla, TX

Possible hair ball blocking the suction?