Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

DE in pool

I backwashed my filter on Monday. When I added the DE slurry, I noticed the DE blowing into the pool through the jets. Unfortunately I had added a few pounds before I noticed it happening. When I looked at the filter, the pipes were vibrating quite a bit. I turned off the filter, switched to bypass and the shaking stopped, so I'm assuming a grid or something else came loose inside the filter. I'm not yet comfortable getting inside the filter, especially given that something appears to be out of whack. The local pool repair guy said he'd get to me as soon as possible, hopefully this week, but he hasn't come yet. There's noticeable dusting of DE on the steps and benches. I have two questions:
    First, does anyone know what might have happened that would cause the vibration/shaking?
    Second, my granddaughters want to swim this weekend. Is it safe to swim with the DE in the pool?

Thanks!
    18.5K IG, concrete w/pebbletec surface, manual chlorine, DE filter, full sun location, TF 100 test kit, Polaris cleaning robot.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE in pool

I'm not sure why the plumbing is shaking and the filter is allowing the DE to get past the filter and into the pool. The filter will need to be taken apart to find the cause. Did you shut off the pump before moving the backwash valve?

I would not swim in the pool with DE in it. Do you have a manual vacuum and a waste setting on the filter valve? If so, vacuum the DE and send it to waste and then keep the pool running on recirculate instead of filter and your pool should be good to swim in.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I always turn off the pump before moving the valve. Unfortunately, I don't have a manual vacuum. Thanks again.
    18.5K IG, concrete w/pebbletec surface, manual chlorine, DE filter, full sun location, TF 100 test kit, Polaris cleaning robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

There are some very detailed and informative YouTube videos on DE filter maintenance and tear down. I watched the same one about 20 times before I took mine apart! Now, it's second nature.
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.