Which to Adjust First, pH or TA

Moi

Aug 7, 2015
Citrus County, Florida
Just checked my pool chemistry and pH has crept up in a day or two from 7.4 to 8.0 and TA has dropped from 80 to 70. Which should I adjust first or does it not really matter? Whichever I do first will not be followed by the other for at least 4 hours, they will not be adjusted at the same time.

For pH adjustment I use Muriatic Acid and for TA I use Baking Soda. BTW, Cl- is at 3.0, 3.0 and 0.0 and I used tabs.

Thanks for any advice on this.

Peter B.

Last edited:
Hi Peter. Adjust your pH first. That's most important right now. Get it back down to the mid-7s. Your TA is fine for now, even at 70. Some pools like the TA even a little lower (i.e. 60-ish). In the future, you can play with the numbers in the Poolmath calculator and watch the changes on the CSI index to make sure you're still in a good range.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and FYI, you don't have to wait 4 hours between adjustments. That's a pool store thing. At least 30 minutes with pump running is generally sufficient.

Peter,

I would recommend holding off adjusting the TA for a few days. As TS said, some pools like a little lower TA. 70 is actually in the range of what we recommend.

You can always do it in a few days if you find your pH rising too fast.

...You can always do it in a few days if you find your pH rising too fast.

Too late, but I only had about a qtr. pound left anyway. I will get another bag of Arm and Hammer tomorrow, but will hold off and see how she goes. My water looks fantastic especially with the new waterline tile and Diamond Brite quartz. I have to fix my solar next, but that is a whole new adventure. :cool:

Thanks Tim.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.