Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which to Adjust First, pH or TA

1. Back To Top    #1

Smile Which to Adjust First, pH or TA

Just checked my pool chemistry and pH has crept up in a day or two from 7.4 to 8.0 and TA has dropped from 80 to 70. Which should I adjust first or does it not really matter? Whichever I do first will not be followed by the other for at least 4 hours, they will not be adjusted at the same time.

For pH adjustment I use Muriatic Acid and for TA I use Baking Soda. BTW, Cl- is at 3.0, 3.0 and 0.0 and I used tabs.

Thanks for any advice on this.

Peter B.
    Last edited by Moi; 09-10-2015 at 11:15 AM. Reason: typo.
    10,000 gallons in-ground with Spillway Spa. Diamond Brite surface, Solar Panels, Hayward SP3400VSP Pump, Hayward Offline Chlorinator, StayRite PLD 70 Filter. Used to have a gas heater but took it to the dump. It kept on breaking down.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Which to Adjust First, pH or TA

Hi Peter. Adjust your pH first. That's most important right now. Get it back down to the mid-7s. Your TA is fine for now, even at 70. Some pools like the TA even a little lower (i.e. 60-ish). In the future, you can play with the numbers in the Poolmath calculator and watch the changes on the CSI index to make sure you're still in a good range.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and FYI, you don't have to wait 4 hours between adjustments. That's a pool store thing. At least 30 minutes with pump running is generally sufficient.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Oh, and FYI, you don't have to wait 4 hours between adjustments. That's a pool store thing. At least 30 minutes with pump running is generally sufficient.
    Thanks Tex, I have adjusted the pH and will do the TA after lunch.

Peter B.
    10,000 gallons in-ground with Spillway Spa. Diamond Brite surface, Solar Panels, Hayward SP3400VSP Pump, Hayward Offline Chlorinator, StayRite PLD 70 Filter. Used to have a gas heater but took it to the dump. It kept on breaking down.

4. Back To Top    #4

Peter,

I would recommend holding off adjusting the TA for a few days. As TS said, some pools like a little lower TA. 70 is actually in the range of what we recommend.

You can always do it in a few days if you find your pH rising too fast.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Cool Re: Which to Adjust First, pH or TA

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    ...You can always do it in a few days if you find your pH rising too fast.
    Too late, but I only had about a qtr. pound left anyway. I will get another bag of Arm and Hammer tomorrow, but will hold off and see how she goes. My water looks fantastic especially with the new waterline tile and Diamond Brite quartz. I have to fix my solar next, but that is a whole new adventure.

Thanks Tim.