Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

High CYA

Moderator Note - Moved from here: High CYA did a water dump next steps to keep it down? - Page 2

I too have a similar issue with high CYA. It's been around 100-115 all season. Had kept FC at 2 and high on the 4 end (or so I thought it was high until I saw the chart). Just recovered (hopefully) from a yellow algae outbreak. It wasn't noticeable to most people so hopefully I caught it early enough that I killed all of it. Water was clearer today than it had been in over a week and no sign of algae when brushing.

Back to the CYA... Draining 30% appears to be the best option. Since I will be closing the pool soon, should I drain now and leave it at 70%, drain and refill, or do nothing until next season? The pool will be covered and I have already purchased a winterize kit.

(Not hi-jacking the thread - just tagging alone since we are both in the same situation.)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High CYA

If you can drain now and adjust your CYA from 100+ down to about 70, I think that would be a good idea. If nothing else, just to ensure you know exactly how much bleach to use for your final winter-prep SLAM when you close for the season. Otherwise, you would just be guessing.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Some people in the area drain their water level below the returns. Will that be a bad idea to drain it that low and keep it over the winter?

Vinyl in-ground pool.

PS - Working on getting the signature setup.

4. Back To Top    #4

Please refer us to a thread for this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    ...your final winter-prep SLAM when you close for the season.
    29,085.1 gal inground grecian vinyl, Hayward Super Pump VS, Hayward S-240 sand filter, Dolphin Nautilus Plus (aka Agador Spartacus), Taylor K-2006 kit, nice pool brush, crappy leaf net, frogs

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

It's part of pool school

Found here: Pool School - Pool School Index

For Inground pools: Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Excellent, thank you.
    -R
    29,085.1 gal inground grecian vinyl, Hayward Super Pump VS, Hayward S-240 sand filter, Dolphin Nautilus Plus (aka Agador Spartacus), Taylor K-2006 kit, nice pool brush, crappy leaf net, frogs