Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

High CYA

Moderator Note - Moved from here: High CYA did a water dump next steps to keep it down? - Page 2

I too have a similar issue with high CYA. It's been around 100-115 all season. Had kept FC at 2 and high on the 4 end (or so I thought it was high until I saw the chart). Just recovered (hopefully) from a yellow algae outbreak. It wasn't noticeable to most people so hopefully I caught it early enough that I killed all of it. Water was clearer today than it had been in over a week and no sign of algae when brushing.

Back to the CYA... Draining 30% appears to be the best option. Since I will be closing the pool soon, should I drain now and leave it at 70%, drain and refill, or do nothing until next season? The pool will be covered and I have already purchased a winterize kit.

(Not hi-jacking the thread - just tagging alone since we are both in the same situation.)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High CYA

If you can drain now and adjust your CYA from 100+ down to about 70, I think that would be a good idea. If nothing else, just to ensure you know exactly how much bleach to use for your final winter-prep SLAM when you close for the season. Otherwise, you would just be guessing.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Some people in the area drain their water level below the returns. Will that be a bad idea to drain it that low and keep it over the winter?

Vinyl in-ground pool.

PS - Working on getting the signature setup.

4. Back To Top    #4

Please refer us to a thread for this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    ...your final winter-prep SLAM when you close for the season.
    29,085.1 gal inground grecian vinyl, Hayward Super Pump VS, Hayward S-240 sand filter, Dolphin Nautilus Plus (aka Agador Spartacus), Taylor K-2006 kit, nice pool brush, crappy leaf net, frogs

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

It's part of pool school

Found here: Pool School - Pool School Index

For Inground pools: Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Excellent, thank you.
    -R
    29,085.1 gal inground grecian vinyl, Hayward Super Pump VS, Hayward S-240 sand filter, Dolphin Nautilus Plus (aka Agador Spartacus), Taylor K-2006 kit, nice pool brush, crappy leaf net, frogs