Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: MA in Shallow-End Return?? Help..

1. Back To Top    #1

Question MA in Shallow-End Return?? Help..

I've read enough post that I now feel confident to use MA in my vinyl pool. Then the question came to my mind... is it OK to pour MA into the return stream if both of my returns are in the shallow end?

Currently, the return stream I would pour it into runs parallel with my wall. Should I adjust the return so that it is pushing water towards the center of the pool while pouring?

(I have been using 'PH Down' from Lowe's but at $9/5lb and with a constant high PH, I'm looking for a cheaper alternative.)

1st year as a pool owner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: MA in Shallow-End Return?? Help..

I have an aboveground pool and pour the MA in front of my return. I pour it very slowly and then follow up with a good brushing in that area to make sure it is not sitting anywhere and gets mixed in good. I have no problems doing this.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

When I need to put MA in the pool, I try to get Skippy to do the pouring (slowly, in narrow trickle) as I'm brushing.
    It doesn't have to be a two person job, but it makes me feel more confident we're avoiding risks.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

What you are doing is fine, a quick brush will mix it in quickly. Please add your pool info to your signature as shown here for future reference, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Here is a nice reference page for chemicals and how to add them, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll get the signature updated. At first I thought it was an area people use to brag about their pool setup.

6. Back To Top    #6

Well it can be that but really it is so we be lazy and not have to look back at the first post to see the pool details!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I fill up a 5-gallon bucket about 2/3 -3/4 with pool water and slowly pour in the MA. I then walk around the pool dumping it in reaching out as far into the pool as I can.

Sometimes I'll stand on the diving board and just distribute it there in a sweeping path. Since this is the deep end, the MA falls into quite a bit of water.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

8. Back To Top    #8

Very slowly, in front of a return is my preferred method. I don't like mixing MA with anything before putting it in the pool. Less handling and pouring is better. I don't use goggles, just my eyeglasses or sunglasses. Wind preferably at my back so the fumes don't come back at me while pouring.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

9. Back To Top    #9

I just poured 36 ounces in mine, very very slowly and in front of the return. I then swept entire pool pretty fast just to keep it from settling in one spot. Now I wait!!
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

10. Back To Top    #10

I decided to do this last night. Based on pool calculator, I need to add 59oz (half gallon). I was pouring very slowly for what felt like a long time and thought "that feels half the weight so I'm done". THen I brushed the pool.

After that, I thought "how much did I pour". Looked at it in the light and only 1/4 of the bottle had been poured. Then I realized this is how accidents happen. You do it right the first time and no accident and then it is easy to think "I do not need all of this PPE" and you get in a rush.

Looking forward to testing it.

11. Back To Top    #11

I have a measuring cup JUST for MA. The chlorine has it's own measuring cup. My pool also has it's own toothbrush! LOL

Kim

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    I have a measuring cup JUST for MA. The chlorine has it's own measuring cup. My pool also has it's own toothbrush! LOL

Kim
    Oh yeah? Well mine has its own toilet brush! (Great for periodically cleaning out the bottom and mouth of skimmers.)
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

13. Back To Top    #13

Oh I bet a toilet brush would be great for the skimmers in an inground pool! I will have to add that to the shopping list I do for new builds! LOL

Kim

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

I actually use very thick green water bottles. They are 17 oz. each (somewhere around there). I usually purchase 2 gallons of MA at a time and fill each bottle with 10 oz. and close the cap. I have worked with MA and the fumes are not bad. I probably over paid for the "low fumes", who knows. Then I store everything back in the box and label it MA. For me, it is a 1X event that lasts a long time. 2 Gallons usually last almost the whole summer.

Always wear long sleeves (sweatshirt and jeans), eyewear and a asbestos mask, (if you have not worked with MA before), and always work with MA outdoors, not inside.

Approximately every 4-7 days, based on pump running and a lot of little rain-drops, I usually add 10 oz. For me, I have learned my PH behavior. Once you understand how quickly your PH rises and to what levels, you will know how much you need to put in the pool (that is how many fluid oz. at a time). Then save your bottles and label them. I actually walk around the pool and broadcast from shallow end to deep end on both sides (a little bit at a time). I have enough returns to circulate the MA pretty quickly. For me, I am still trying to find my sweet spot between TA and PH.

Please add your signature with Pool Details. Half Gallon is either a very large pool or your PH is very high and needed to be lowered to 7.2-7.5.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013