Floc with cartridge filter?

Floc will gum up your cartridge if you are unable to vacuum to waste. Also all the floc may not fall out over night, requiring several vacuumings to get it all out of the pool.

If your pool is nasty, cloudy green then it has live algae in it. You have to kill the algae to get rid of it. Floccing will not kill the algae and your pool will not clear as long as there are live algae multiplying in the water.

What type of pool do you have?

I have a 16,000 underground. The pool has low chlorine. I added 5 lbs of shock and two hours later the shock is back down to nothing. I've tried everything!!! Cannot get pool clear and chlorine up! Am I supposed to be running full skim?

Jojane, let's give you some good advice to get rid of that green okay? The following step will work:
1 - You must have the proper test kit. The proper test kit (i.e. TF-100 or Taylor K-2006) is the foundation of your pool care. Why these kits? We've learned through personal experience that you cannot reply on pool store testing, test strips, or simple over-the-counter kits. They simply do not read Free Chlorine (FC) or Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels accurately or to the high levels we need. If you do not have a TF-100 or Taylor K2006 test kit, it should be your #1 priority.
2 - Golden rule - Avoid the pool store for testing, advice, or many of their quick-fix products. You simply won’t get the advice/service you deserve and you will waste money on products your pool doesn’t need. Do not add anything to your pool other than what is advocated by the TFP site or its experts. You’ll have a happier pool, spend less time maintaining your pool, and probably save some $$ in the process. No more bags-of-shock!
3 - Until you receive your own test kit, simply add one gallon of regular (generic is fine) bleach to your water each day. It won't totally clear it up, just try to keep it from getting worse right now.
4 - Start reading the SLAM page at Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. This page is what will clear your algae - but you need that test kit!
Once you receive your kit, post a full set of numbers (FC, CC, CYA, pH, TA, and CH) and we can help you better.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Welcome to TFP!

Texas Splash has the right steps, I'm just here to throw in some specifics. The reason floc isn't a good idea for you is two-fold. First, it can possibly damage your filter if you don't follow the instructions perfectly. Second, it won't fix the problem. If it works it will cause most of the algae to fall to the bottom, you will vacuum it to waste (if you can't vacuum to waste then no, you can't use floc), and your pool will look better. Then the algae will grow right back because the initial problem was never fixed.

If you haven't tried TFP then you haven't tried everything. The good news is that once you try TFP then you don't need to try anything else, because the Trouble-Free Pool Care methods work. If you follow the steps Texas Splash outlined above you will get your pool clean and if you choose to follow TFPC going forward you will not run in to this kind of problem again. I hope you give it a shot!

Jo! You are on the right track now! Test kit + bleach + TFP = a clear pool!

Let us know when you get your test kit!

Until then take a pic of your steps looking down into your pool so we can watch your progress.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
About the only thing you can do right now is: Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

The FC/CYA Chart shows the ppm of FC that you must maintain. You then use PoolMath to calculate how much bleach is required.

I would just add a bottle of bleach every day until the kit arrives.

Okay, I just got my kit. Logged on to TFP on my computer and looked at the Pool Calculator....Better understand how to use everything. As far as CYA goes....the pool calculator says liquid stabilizer??? Does this mean I do not use tablets anymore??

What is your CYA? If you need to raise it the granules are cheaper but the liquid is fine. The tablets add chlorine and CYA and lower the pH which could lead to issues and thus we generally do not recommend them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.