Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Slide no longer the eyesore of the backyard (pix)

1. Back To Top    #1

Slide no longer the eyesore of the backyard (pix)

I used to have a Baquacil pool, but since changing out the liner 3 seasons ago, it looked like I had white mold growing the water. Finally, and with the help of TFP, I converted to Chlorine at the beginning of June. In terms of pool enjoyment, it was probably the best decision I could have made. We used to swim in disgusting cloudy water. Now it is clear and inviting, but that story has been told.

This story is about my slide and because this site has been a Godsend this year, I wanted to share in case someone else is in a similar predicament. I had planned on reconditioning my slide anyway, but kept putting it off and putting it off. This is what it looked like:

We took a mini-vacation to my brother in law's in Pittsburgh, who also has a slide and (long story shorter) my 3YO son had such a great time, we had no choice but to take care of our slide, one way or another.

First thing I did was check this board for step by step instructions. I thought for sure I could have done it, but the task did seem a little daunting and time intensive. Second step was to see if I could get a new one. I could, but they are pretty cost-prohibitive, especially considering the timing and expense of my conversion. Finally, I Googled "marine body shop" in the area (Got the idea from one of the posts I found here. The only difference is the other person used an auto body shop). It is real easy to take off its moorings and for about 40% of a new slide, plus plumbing and nozzles ($25 on Amazon), and a couple weeks time, this is the result (kid not included):

In my view, it was well worth the cost, even if I didn't do it on my own.
    Chris
    17' x 35' outdoor in-ground Grecian shaped w/ vinyl liner. ≈ 21,000 gallons. Hayward S-200 Sand Filter and 1 HP Hayward Super-pump. Other Accessories: slide, light, ladder, fiberglass stairs, TF-100. Baquacil Conversion - June 2015, SLAM How-to, Chlorine/CYA Chart

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Slide no longer the eyesore of the backyard (pix)

They did an excellent job. It looks like you, and that cute little feller at the top of the slide will have many more fun, and happy years with that slide. Well done!!! Have a nice night
    24' Round x 4.5 ft deep AGP (15,200 Gallons), Vinyl Liner, Hayward Vari Flo XL Sand Filter- (model SP0714T1),
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, SLAM & the Chlorine/CYA CHART. Support this Site! TFP Totally Rocks.

3. Back To Top    #3

Did they re-glass it or what exactly?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

They took it down to the original glass, patched where needed, and then put on multiple layers of gel coat and paint. Apparently, the original owners had applied only latex paint to try to preserve it, but the slide had never been sanded down...ever. He said the finish is what he would do for a speed boat.
    Chris
    17' x 35' outdoor in-ground Grecian shaped w/ vinyl liner. ≈ 21,000 gallons. Hayward S-200 Sand Filter and 1 HP Hayward Super-pump. Other Accessories: slide, light, ladder, fiberglass stairs, TF-100. Baquacil Conversion - June 2015, SLAM How-to, Chlorine/CYA Chart

5. Back To Top    #5

Great job. Thanks for sharing.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!