Bleach adds solids?

Welcome and listen to the people here. I wasted three weeks with pool stores and my green swamp stayed a green swamp. After four weeks here and listening to the people here I have a beautiful clear pool. Do not listen to the pool stores.

Got my kit, tested yesterday, but didn't really trust my results.. Confirmed them for the most part today. Pulled the pucks and went to 10% liquid from Leslie's, so I could use my $5 reward.. $2.99 for two gallons was pretty good! Also picked up three gallons of 8.25 from Walmart last night, so got a little stash going.

So, here we go:
FC- 17
PH- 7.5
TA- 140
CH- 700
TC- 17
CYA- 200+ (Even after dilution test, still can't get up to the 100 line)

Just ordered the magnetic stirrer.. Think it will make me a little more accurate. Water looks clean and clear and sparkly. Well, kind of gray today with all of the smoke in the air.

Guy at Leslie's told me about their CYA remover enzyme, that people have lowered their CYA up to 100 points. I'm going to assume that would be a waste of $60...

no need to buy bleach from Walmart if you are getting the 2.5 gallon refillable jugs of 10% from Leslies. that's a lot cheaper than 1 gallon jugs of 8.25% bleach.

for your CYA test, you can dilute 3:1 and then multiply by 3 for the results. the margin or error increases even more, but it would be a good idea to get a ballpark of your CYA levels.

no need to buy bleach from Walmart if you are getting the 2.5 gallon refillable jugs of 10% from Leslies. that's a lot cheaper than 1 gallon jugs of 8.25% bleach.

for your CYA test, you can dilute 3:1 and then multiply by 3 for the results. the margin or error increases even more, but it would be a good idea to get a ballpark of your CYA levels.

Thanks Dan,

At $7.99 for 2 gals of the 10% and $2.89 per 8.25%, my limited math skills told me that the bleach was cheaper.. (.70 per percentage point vs .79) If that math isn't right, I will certainly buy the 10%.. I honestly just don't have any desire to go back into a pool store. I think they are trying to be helpful, but I don't want to be up-sold every time I am looking for chlorine. You guys have ruined the pool store experience for me.

Thanks all for the help. I ran Herbie the Polaris Love Bug last night, and then turned the pool light on and sat in the dark with my wife by our sparkling pool. We had an amazing five minutes of peaceful solitude. And then our five-year-old found us...

Last edited:
You can calculate cost per effect ounce by doing this:

Cost divided by number of ounces in the container then divide by the percent concentration expressed as a decimal.

Example: $2.99/128oz/0.0825 =23.8 cents an effective ounce

Perfect! Thanks! So, Walmart would be cheaper then. .27 vs .31.. And a lot cheaper because I won't see $40 worth of stuff that I "need" at the pool store.. :)

Thanks Dan,

At $7.99 for 2 gals of the 10% and $2.89 per 8.25%, my limited math skills told me that the bleach was cheaper.. (.70 per percentage point vs .79) If that math isn't right, I will certainly buy the 10%.. I honestly just don't have any desire to go back into a pool store. I think they are trying to be helpful, but I don't want to be up-sold every time I am looking for chlorine. You guys have ruined the pool store experience for me.

Thanks all for the help. I ran Herbie the Polaris Love Bug last night, and then turned the pool light on and sat in the dark with my wife by our sparkling pool. We had an amazing five minutes of peaceful solitude. And then our five-year-old found us...

oh, I thought you said it was $3 for 2 gallons, my mistake. and does your leslies not use 2.5 gallon refillable tanks? well go with the cheaper one :)

oh, I thought you said it was $3 for 2 gallons, my mistake. and does your leslies not use 2.5 gallon refillable tanks? well go with the cheaper one :)

Sorry, yeah that was after my $5 reward, I created the confusion. :) I will ask if they do the 2.5 refillable. He didn't volunteer that info when I asked if they had liquid chlorine, just sold me the two-gallon box- but refillable would be the way to go..

On the 8.25% I don't know if they are ever 128 oz anymore. I think they are 121 oz across the board.

You are correct, they were 121.. Still a couple cents cheaper per. Just called both Leslie's in my area, they don't do the refillable 2.5's, so looks like Walmart is the current leader, but I will keep shopping. Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a bleach prices thread.. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You are correct, they were 121.. Still a couple cents cheaper per. Just called both Leslie's in my area, they don't do the refillable 2.5's, so looks like Walmart is the current leader, but I will keep shopping. Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a bleach prices thread.. :)
Nothing to be sorry about. We are willing to discuss most anything.....

Sorry, yeah that was after my $5 reward, I created the confusion. :) I will ask if they do the 2.5 refillable. He didn't volunteer that info when I asked if they had liquid chlorine, just sold me the two-gallon box- but refillable would be the way to go..

mine has the 2.5 gallon refillable of 10% and it runs around $4 each, so super cheap. you have to pay a deposit on the containers which is like $6 and you can get that back if you ever trade it back in. one of the perks of living in Florida I suppose :)

mine has the 2.5 gallon refillable of 10% and it runs around $4 each, so super cheap. you have to pay a deposit on the containers which is like $6 and you can get that back if you ever trade it back in. one of the perks of living in Florida I suppose :)

Jealous! No luck here.. I lived in Ft. Lauderdale for a couple of years, there are lots of other perks to living in Florida.. Floating in the pool with a beer on Christmas Eve is one of my fonder memories. :)

It looks like you have some HASA dealers near you in Rocklin: http://hasapool.com/dealer_locator_hasa.php Try a search.

HASA dealers sell 12.5% in a crate of 4 1 gallons refillable jugs. I have a place nearby that sells me 8 gallons for the price of 6. They used to sell 8 gallons for the price of 4 but that ship sailed a little while ago but it was the best deal going in the BA. Anyway, see if anyone near you has any kind of a deal for their HASA liquid chlorine. The 8 for 6 costs me 22 cents/%-oz so it is still a very good deal.

It looks like you have some HASA dealers near you in Rocklin: http://hasapool.com/dealer_locator_hasa.php Try a search.

HASA dealers sell 12.5% in a crate of 4 1 gallons refillable jugs. I have a place nearby that sells me 8 gallons for the price of 6. They used to sell 8 gallons for the price of 4 but that ship sailed a little while ago but it was the best deal going in the BA. Anyway, see if anyone near you has any kind of a deal for their HASA liquid chlorine. The 8 for 6 costs me 22 cents/%-oz so it is still a very good deal.

Perfect! One is right down the road. He doesn't give a break on multiple cases, but even $17.99 for four gallons is a penny cheaper than Walmart per effective oz, provided they are full gallons. I will try him next. Thanks!

OK, I kinda screwed this up. I think.. I did two parts (20ml) tap, one (10ml) pool, and came up with 70, so I figured 210 was my CYA. Then I re-read and saw that you said 3:1. 210 looks kind of good though, ballpark, as I almost make it up to the 100 line on a 1:1 dilution. Does my math work on a 2:1?

If so, do I just straight double the CYA chart? So if 100 is 7 min and 12 target, 200 should be 14 and 24?

Perfect! One is right down the road. He doesn't give a break on multiple cases, but even $17.99 for four gallons is a penny cheaper than Walmart per effective oz, provided they are full gallons. I will try him next. Thanks!

Maybe not convenient from Rocklin, but if you're in the 50 corridor at Bradshaw on a regular basis I get my chlorine from All Clear Pool&Spa -- $16 for 4 gallons of 12.5% HASA ($6 one-time refundable deposit), plus a regular buy-11-get-12th-free card (makes it average $14.67 per 4 gal) and occasionally a buy-3-get-1-free coupon.

I like using the reusable containers so I'm not throwing away a lot of plastic, and it's nice to have it be the same to make the daily math easier (22oz for 1ppm FC rise in my pool) without having to adjust for different percentages. And it's quick -- park with my trunk next to the door, take the old one in, pay, grab a new crate on the way out and stick it in the trunk. Done before I'd even make it to the front door of Walmart or Home Depot :)

Maybe not convenient from Rocklin, but if you're in the 50 corridor at Bradshaw on a regular basis I get my chlorine from All Clear Pool&Spa -- $16 for 4 gallons of 12.5% HASA ($6 one-time refundable deposit), plus a regular buy-11-get-12th-free card (makes it average $14.67 per 4 gal) and occasionally a buy-3-get-1-free coupon.

I like using the reusable containers so I'm not throwing away a lot of plastic, and it's nice to have it be the same to make the daily math easier (22oz for 1ppm FC rise in my pool) without having to adjust for different percentages. And it's quick -- park with my trunk next to the door, take the old one in, pay, grab a new crate on the way out and stick it in the trunk. Done before I'd even make it to the front door of Walmart or Home Depot :)

Wow, thanks, that's great! Too far to drive, but it motivates me to shop around. Sounds like deals are out there, maybe I can find a little shop up here that does the same.. Or, since my co-worker lives in Rancho, maybe I will make him my chlorine runner.. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.