Suggestions for Spa Pump Replacement

Apr 14, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Spa pump (Hayward Super II, 1.5 HP, can't read SF) has bit the dust. Impeller is rusted onto motor shaft. Thinking of replacing whole pump (close to 20 years old).

Would appreciate suggestions on a replacement.

Recently replaced pool pump with Pentair Superflo VS 342001. Would it make sense to replace spa pump with another Pentair 342001, primarily for replacement purposes in case one of them would fail?

Spa has 6 jets, aerator, sits about 18 inches above pump and 20 feet away from pump.

Doesn't sound like a bad idea to have two of the same pump assuming you like it.

Being VS, as you know, you have a lot of options in how to run it.

However, the spa could likely use a much smaller pump and therefore it would be cheaper.

I don't know if you want the expense of a VS pump to run a spa. I am very high on VS pumps for the savings and flexibility they provide, but you generally run a spa at one speed and one speed only. Also, you won't be running it for several hours, like your main pump. So you will never see any savings to offset the additional cost, nor will you have need of the added flexibility that a VS pump provides.

Good input so far. Looks like a single speed pump replacement is a few hundred less than the VS pump - and I probably will only run it at one speed. Re changing plumbing, not sure current VS pump would be powerful enough. Pool repairman thought I'd probably need a 3HP Intelliflow to pump to spa and pool at same time.

Anyone know of a single speed pump with a built in timer that might work as a replacement? Would be nice to be able to circulate spa water nightly.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to say in last post - heater is plumbed off of pool pump, also has a line to the spa.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.