Problems with Pentair Rainbow Chlorinator 320

Sep 9, 2015
San Antonio
We had our pool installed last year which included the Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, large DE Filter, and the Pentair 320. It seems like I'm never able to get a lot of chlorine from the chlorinator even when it is turned on the highest setting. I'm considering switching the feeding tube to the top hole but wanted to hear if anyone else has had the same problem. I tend to run my pump at abour 2250 RPM and getting around 12-15 psi at the filter gauge. We have a 23k gallon pool and I'm running pump about 8 hours a day. Seems like the chlorinator is going through about 1 3 inch tablet a week which doesn't seem like much when turned to the highest setting.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'll spare you the sermon on using pucks, but you should read the "ABC's of pool chemistry".

Now for the feeder issue.
The feeder dissolves the tablets by running water across them as the pump runs. The greater the flow, the more the tablet(s) get dissolved.
What speed(s) are you running the pump?
How long are you running the pump on higher speed?
How long are you running the pump on lower speed?

If you're running the pump on low speed most of the time then moving the flow tube to the top should help by causing more water to flow across the tablets and therefore dissolving the tablets faster.

I used to own one of those (long ago retired). As I recollect, top feed is recommended for 3" pucks and the bottom feed for 1"tabs. Also, there is a flexible flow reducer that is sometimes installed in the inside hole. You may want to remove that if it's there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.