Befuddled by the pool

Hi -

We bought our house in March this year (2015) and this is our first pool. As an overachiever I want to know EVERYTHING about pool maintenance. I've been saddened by the lack of knowledge at pool companies but...We are getting ready to convert to SWG. I've been struggling with over-chlorination alternating with profound under-chlorination because the dial on the tab tower doesn't work. As a result of the frequent imbalance the plaster is in sad shape, it was very pitted when we bought. Resurfacing will happen next spring. Our pool is approximately 44k gallons. I was just told that my "CA" levels are too low and all I can assume he was referring to is CYA levels. Though he recommended keeping it at ~100 which seems high? The tech also said the my low "CA" might be from a leak? I've passed a multi day bucket test. Sometimes it feels like getting the truth about pool chemistry is well nigh impossible. Any suggestions welcomed.

Hi Terri and welcome! Let's make sure we're speaking about the same things. CYA is your stabilizer level and ideally may fall between 30-50ppm. Here in TX in the summer, you might even go to 60 or so for added protection from the sun. CH is hardness, and some people get those anonyms mixed-up. That's important because if it's too low, it can cause problems with your plaster. It sounds like you already have distressed plaster and are just holding-off until next spring. In the meantime, if you haven't done so already, get yourself the right test kit so you don't have to bother taking someone else's word for it. I use the TF-100 (link below) and it's fantastic and easy. Easier than drawing blood. :)

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. We're happy to have you with us.

- - - Updated - - -

Please see the Recommended Levels link in my sig. That will give you an idea of what your levels should be.