Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I Put Mesh Cover On Without Closing The Pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I Put Mesh Cover On Without Closing The Pool?

It’s that time of year that gets me thinking about closing the pool. In the past, we have closed it for the winter months. This year, however, I would like to try and leave it open. We had the pool re-plastered in May and I would like to be able to make sure the pH is balanced - the new plaster continues to require a large amount of Muriatic Acid. I also like to look out and see the water (regardless of the temperature), which to me is one of the best things of having a pool .

We live near Winston-Salem, North Carolina. From other posts I have read on the forum, I think we would be okay as far as temperatures. We could run the pump a few hours per day and then continuously through freezing temps.

The biggest issues we have are the leaves. We have TONS of maple and oak trees. We deal with a high volume of leaves and nasty acorns. Those darn acorns are like meteors when they fall from the trees and, even now in September, I have to constantly rake them from the bottom of the pool so they don’t stain my new plaster.

We have a mesh loop-loc cover. Would it be feasible to put the mesh cover on without closing the pool (pump still running, etc.) through the worst of the leaf season? I could peel back a portion every couple of days to check the pH, etc. Then, once the leaves and acorns have finished falling, I could just remove the cover all the way and maintain as usual.

Does anyone see a problem with doing it this way? I am new at this and want to make sure I am not overlooking something. Thanks!
    Near Winston-Salem, North Carolina
    33,000 IG Freeform Gunite * Pentair Tagelus Sand Filter * Hayward Pump
    1970's Build * Resurfaced 2015 w/Krystal Blue Krystalkrete
    Polaris 380 Cleaner * TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I Put Mesh Cover On Without Closing The Pool?

You sure can. I may even do it this year before closing my pool completely to help it cool off faster and keep some leaves out. This will also lower your daily chlorine demand due to lessened sun exposure.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. I am going to try it this year and see how it works out.
    Near Winston-Salem, North Carolina
    33,000 IG Freeform Gunite * Pentair Tagelus Sand Filter * Hayward Pump
    1970's Build * Resurfaced 2015 w/Krystal Blue Krystalkrete
    Polaris 380 Cleaner * TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes!!! You won't regret it.
    18' x 36' saltwater inground vinyl pool

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, I also do this with my loop loc cover in the fall. I put the cover on, cut the pump down too 3 hrs and keep chlorine in it ( which is easy since most of the sunlight is blocked) when the water gets 50 degrees the water is lowered and the pump pulled.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover