Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Convert Fiber Optic light port to suction port for cleaner in Fiberglass pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Convert Fiber Optic light port to suction port for cleaner in Fiberglass pool

I have a broken fiber optic strand going to an eyeball port in a fiberglass pool. I'm not totally for getting a new housing. I would much rather have a dedicated suction line for the cleaner.

Assuming I can get plumbing to the port, can this be easily converted to a cleaner suction port?
    Rusted out Laars Lite (Needs replacement)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Convert Fiber Optic light port to suction port for cleaner in Fiberglass pool

Any thought on this?

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Convert Fiber Optic light port to suction port for cleaner in Fiberglass pool

I don't know how easily it can be converted, but it's certainly possible. I'm not completely sure that the light lens is the same threaded configuration as a standard 1½" eyeball fitting, but it may be.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I tried a return jet eyeball, and it definitely fits.

I took a picture of the port, and where the 'flexible pvc' pipe comes out of the ground. There is no marking on it. Is there any way to tell if this is
    'suction rated'? If it is, it is about 10 feet of digging to get back up to the pump inlet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Back To Top    #5

That looks flex PVC and if it is then it's rated for 28"HG vacuum.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit