Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heater Sizing Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Tampa, FL

Heater Sizing Questions

Hey Everyone,

I'm still fairly new to this forum and to pool ownership. I recently bought a house with a pool and spa. They are pretty small as you can see from my signature. Spa is 12 x 4.5 x 3 deep. Pool is 13 x 4.5 x 4 deep. I am looking to buy a new heat pump since the existing one does not work. The big question is sizing. I've received a quote for a 65,000 BTU heat pump and 95,000 BTU heat pump. However, I really don't know how to size them both for getting up to the proper heat and maintaining it. I will be using a solar blanket since it shouldn't be tough work with on small pools. I don't mind paying a little more for a well powered heat pump, but I also don't want to waste money (the whole reason I've chosen a heat pump over a gas heater). I also plan to use the spa on a regular basis during the winter. The pool will be used somewhat in the winter but doesn't need to be as hot. The pool and spa run on the same pump but the lines are isolated. I simply want to be able heat my pools efficiently in a reasonable amount of time. Any thoughts on this or resources for sizing my heat pump?
    1,500 Gallon, In-ground Plaster Pool W/ Lap Jet, 1,200 Gallon In-ground Plaster Spa

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: Heater Sizing Questions

I'm no expert in the heater area, but I did find a few threads you might like to read. While some of these are for different size heaters based on the size of their pool, the concept about "bigger or smaller" may be of interest to you:
    Spa Size Heater Size
    Pool Heater size
    Help me choose a correct pool heater...not sure of pool size
    Pool Heater Recommendation

But I have to ask ..... is the gallon size of your pool correct in your signature? 1,500 gal?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!