Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replace just the seals only or replace the impeller also

1. Back To Top    #1

Exclamation Replace just the seals only or replace the impeller also

Hi all, I have a quick question on if I can replace just the seal or if I need to replace the impeller also.

I have a waterway executive 56 frame wet end on a 1.5hp 2speed 230v motor. The Hot tub sprung a leak while we where on vacation and of course the pressure switch didn't work so the pump ran dry for who knows how long. So I know that I need to replace the seals, what I was wondering is if I need to replace the impeller also. Only reason I am wondering that is because the plastic that goes through the seal has broken loose (see the attached pictures)

Thanks in advance for your help
    CHRIS
    IMAG0163 (1).jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replace just the seals only or replace the impeller also

Looks to me like a new impeller is needed. Being plastic, they get HOT and all sorts of problems arise from that.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

3. Back To Top    #3

I was thinking that was going to be the case, just gonna save a couple bucks if I could. Thanks for your advice.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Change the impellor also, because of excessive heat, it could fail later. Besides, they're not that expensive.