So sad, pool came down today

Jul 22, 2014
Oakbank, Canada
Weather getting too cold to swim, so pool came down. :(

Drained it, cleaned the inside and dried it with towels. The disassembled it, roll it all up and packed away for the winter in my heated shop (so liner never freezes) Pump stays in heated shop too, everything else goes into cold storage in other shop. Actually once it's drained, only takes me about an hour to take it all apart and pack away, so not too bad.
It gets to -35 here in the winter, so I never leave the Ultra up just in case.

So that is it until next spring, when I get to do the entire thing again, whoo whoo!:rolleyes:

Now, getting the weather more inclined towards the hot tub now.

We swam for last time yesterday n I told hubby I wanted to take the steps out while water was still warm. I'll keep the pool running for a few more weeks n then I'll cover it.

Our pool is still at around 83-84 degrees. It drops at night, but the sun and solar cover get it back up. However, a cold front is supposed to roll in tomorrow and rain along with it, so tonight may be the last swim.

I don't winterize until the water temp drops lower and stays there, but swimming may be over shortly.

-dave

Enjoy your swim tonight, Phonedave! Our solar panels have the pool up to 91 at 7 pm. I am getting in there and enjoying it as well. Probably one of the last warm swims! This is the saddest time of the year. I love my pool!

Had a hose clamp break on our return and the pool drained itself below the skimmer. Thought about closing now but decided it made more sense to waste a little water and close in a month when the water is cooler and we can sweep again. I think swimming is over though, we got one last day in on Monday. This weekend we have a low of 47F coming so the pool should cool off quickly.

Always so sad to look out the window and see the tarp over the pool...

Had a second cool front come in today, but the night temps should still be in the low 70's. I should be able to swim til the equinox, hopefully. I have gotten in as late as October 10, but that is a brisk, chilly swim. Night swims are done, for sure.

I agree, sad, sad time of year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Enjoy your swim tonight, Phonedave! Our solar panels have the pool up to 91 at 7 pm. I am getting in there and enjoying it as well. Probably one of the last warm swims! This is the saddest time of the year. I love my pool!

I hate it when it is cold for a few days, so the pool gets really cold, but then you get a hot spell. You think to yourself, it's 85 out, I should swim. Then you see your pool is 65 and you go "oh, never mind"

-dave

My pool is 85 right now. Solar panels really help. I have to go out for a it but if the air is not too cold tonight I am going to try to get in the pool. I try to eek out as much pool time as I can all summer long but at this time of the year I get almost crazed about it!

Our summer has ended chilly here in Georgia. The pool is down to 82, so the season won't last much longer. We usually close end of October, but it looks to be an early close this year :(

I might hop in this weekend for a little dip, but we're about done here for sure. Water temps now into the mid 70s pretty solidly. Some highs in the 80s on Sunday but every night now is 50s or 40s... Time to get the cover in shape and test out the Shop Vac this weekend.

Weather getting too cold to swim, so pool came down. :(

Drained it, cleaned the inside and dried it with towels. The disassembled it, roll it all up and packed away for the winter in my heated shop (so liner never freezes) Pump stays in heated shop too, everything else goes into cold storage in other shop. Actually once it's drained, only takes me about an hour to take it all apart and pack away, so not too bad.
It gets to -35 here in the winter, so I never leave the Ultra up just in case.

So that is it until next spring, when I get to do the entire thing again, whoo whoo!:rolleyes:

Now, getting the weather more inclined towards the hot tub now.

Awe, Darrel, saddest time of the year. Although, we may have one more day to enjoy it this weekend... it is supposed to be upwards of 30 degrees for Brandon tmo ;) With no issues arising out of our decision to leave our pool up (partially drained) last winter, we have decided to leave ours up again this year. Fingers crossed. Our biggest challenge is getting our enormous pool steps removed for the winter. The steps themselves are heavy enough and combined with the 75 pounds of wet sand in the balusters, it is quite an endeavor to get them out (one worthy of an award winning "America's Funniest Home Videos" entry LOL) I am trying to convince the hubby that we need to fabricate some type of platform in the pool to raise them up above the (lowered) water level and leave them in the pool rather than struggle to try to remove them completely. Looks like this will be the weekend to get it done tho. Last year we waited until the middle of October, brrrrr. So I guess one last swim, a thorough cleaning, and winterizing are on the agenda for tomorrow. See y'all in the Spring :)

I'm sweeping the pool one last time today, SLAM'ing it for winter, draining n covering it here in a few hours. It was a great summer but it's over.

We got to have a fun day in the pool today. Night temps this week are in the 50s so pool has dropped to 80. Kind of sad. Seems like it's cooling off sooner this year as I know in the past we've had a March-October season. I wish we had solar panels. Hoping for a turn around in temps and more of an Indian summer.

Down here we never actually "close" the pool. Pump runs a few hours a day in the winter too. It has a thermostat that kicks it on if we near freezing.

The pool is now in "temp drop" mode.

The solar cover is removed, cleaned, and stored for the winter.

Pool is still too warm for my liking to shut down, so right now is it cooling off. Maybe this weekend it will go to sleep, maybe the weekend after that. I don't think anyone will be brave enough to swim in it during that time frame.

-dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.