Help me size my filter

Mar 30, 2015
Dallas, Texas
We are finishing our build on a 30x18 in ground pool. Approximately 17,000 gallons. We are required by our city to use a de filter. My question is the pentair 48 sqf big enough or are we better off with the 60sqf?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Being required to use a DE filter is mind boggling to me. What is the rationale? Usually DE would be the type that is prohibited, not required :scratch:

Anyway, given your location and that the pool will always be "open" get the 60 sqft.

cartridge filters do not backwash, unlike DE and sand... unless you build it into your system like I did.. environmentally, DE is probably the most restricted and regulated of all filters...

That's weird as you usually see filter regulations that require separation tanks, not exact filter types. The funny part is, you still need to tear down a DE filter regularly (like once per year) and do a deep clean of the cartridges or grids. You can backwash the filter prior to opening it, but that only gets rid of maybe 50% of the DE that you need to clean off. The rest comes off on your lawn or "back 40" when you take apart the grids/cartridges for cleaning.

So in the end, the regulation is kind of useless since you will still be discharging DE into the environment...unless you plan on being a "good citizen" and figure out a way to capture all the DE crud you wash off.

Definitely 60sqf. Oversizing will reduce frequency of back washing.

Our 20k gal pool has a 60sqf DE filter and I can go all season (May-Oct) without having to backwash. So far this season filter pressure has only gone up 1lb. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.