Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help me size my filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Help me size my filter

We are finishing our build on a 30x18 in ground pool. Approximately 17,000 gallons. We are required by our city to use a de filter. My question is the pentair 48 sqf big enough or are we better off with the 60sqf?

Build in progress: 31x18 GI (17,336 gallons) / Diamond Brite French Gray finish / Flagstone Coping / 30ft weeping wall with 7 stations plumbed / Salt Finish Deck / Pentair EasyTouch Controls / Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump / Pentair D.E. Filter 60sft / Polaris Automatic Pool Sweep w/ Booster Pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help me size my filter

Being required to use a DE filter is mind boggling to me. What is the rationale? Usually DE would be the type that is prohibited, not required

Anyway, given your location and that the pool will always be "open" get the 60 sqft.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I would love to see that regulation... can't believe that...

bigger is better...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

Ya it's crazy very small,city with weird rules. They won't allow cartridge unless you are on septic and want to make sure you are tied into the sewer line for backwash.

Build in progress: 31x18 GI (17,336 gallons) / Diamond Brite French Gray finish / Flagstone Coping / 30ft weeping wall with 7 stations plumbed / Salt Finish Deck / Pentair EasyTouch Controls / Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump / Pentair D.E. Filter 60sft / Polaris Automatic Pool Sweep w/ Booster Pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

cartridge filters do not backwash, unlike DE and sand... unless you build it into your system like I did.. environmentally, DE is probably the most restricted and regulated of all filters...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

6. Back To Top    #6

That's weird as you usually see filter regulations that require separation tanks, not exact filter types. The funny part is, you still need to tear down a DE filter regularly (like once per year) and do a deep clean of the cartridges or grids. You can backwash the filter prior to opening it, but that only gets rid of maybe 50% of the DE that you need to clean off. The rest comes off on your lawn or "back 40" when you take apart the grids/cartridges for cleaning.

So in the end, the regulation is kind of useless since you will still be discharging DE into the environment...unless you plan on being a "good citizen" and figure out a way to capture all the DE crud you wash off.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

7. Back To Top    #7

Completely agree. It's weird. Builder even talked to them and explained cartridge doesn't backwash but they are stubborn.

8. Back To Top    #8

Definitely 60sqf. Oversizing will reduce frequency of back washing.

Our 20k gal pool has a 60sqf DE filter and I can go all season (May-Oct) without having to backwash. So far this season filter pressure has only gone up 1lb.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the advice I went with the 60. Got installed just a few hrs ago